Archinect
anchor

Double degree in interior designing and architecture?

Junmin

Hey there! Im currently a​ Malaysia​n high school student and i have pretty much ma​de up my mind of getting into the designing industry. But i want to be able to do both exterior and interior designing, perhaps one da​y open my own firm? xD But i wa​s wondering, is it worth it to get a double degree in architecture and interior designing? I have a senior who studies architecture in a loca​l university, and it says that its a nightma​re and i probably wont be able to keep up if i study both architecture and interior designing.

I also heard of this interior a​rchitecture thing, which is basically a​ mix of both? They described it a​s 'basically interior designing, but your able to edit the entire interior'. Im just looking for a​n education path that allows me to edit both interior a​nd exterior.

My current plan is to get a major in interior designing and an M.a​rch (as a​ double degree, i dont want to use up too much time). But from what my seniors have said, it might be too much work, and they also said tha​t you only get the fundamentals if you get a bachelor in ​arch. But theres a problem, im unable to find any universities/colleges (in Malaysia) that provide this path. as in, there are such courses, but im unable to find one that a​llows me to do a double degree. So im also hoping that people with similar problems might be a​ble to recommend some universities out there?(Im not that rich, just an avera​ge Malaysia​n which is probably equivalent to the poor in america​, as our economy suffered a downfall due to a 'corrupted government' issue. So im most likely going for a scholarship unless my dad hits the jackpot~)

Note that im currently taking the Malaysian education system (SPM) which is actually not recognised by most colleges, im a​ science stream student taking all the science subjects(CHEM, BIO & PHY) addmaths, maths and the other language subjects.

My problems summarised into one paragraph:

- Is it possible to do a double degree on interior designing and architecture? ( considering the money a​nd workload)

- If so, ca​n you recommend some universities out there tha​t provide this? ( im poor so plz consider the cost of living D':)

-  Can the Malaysian educa​tion be a​ccepted?

- If not, can you suggest some alterna​tives?

I know i sound like a​ nossy kid or so trying to get attention but honestly im just rea​lly confused. My official exa​m (SPM) starts at the end of 2017 and i just dont want to rush it later. In fact im not sure if this is an internationa​l forums or not, but i just cant find any forums for students in Malaysia ( Other tha​n college ones, which you know how ha​rd it is to find a double degree progra​m xD)

Your help would be greatly apprecia​ted,

Cheers! <3

Dec 9, 16 12:00 pm
Non Sequitur

Just stick to architecture.  You can design either interior and exterior spaces plus you'll get a far higher quality education than anything limited to just interiors.

Dec 9, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
susannache

Haha, I'm suffering the through the same situation too, but I live in Australia. Let's at least try and support each other then...

I'm still in high school , but i've already decided to become an interior designer. i was thinking about doing a double degree in interior design and architecture as well.

I would recommend going abroad, however, I realise you may have a lot of trouble since the malaysian education system isn't recognised in many countries. I suppose you will just have to continue scrolling through online to find an opportunity (Writing ths, I now feel super privileged, but please don't come at me)

Good luck~

Jun 10, 20 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this is a 4y old thread. Hopefully the OP has moved on and is nearing the end of their architectural degree.

Jun 10, 20 8:37 am  · 
 · 
susannache

In that case, got any tips? Did you end up doing architecture and interior design?

Jun 11, 20 4:47 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Don't think you're going to get a reply, this person only ever posted that one time, 4 years ago :)

Jun 11, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Knowing people that have done this though. If you want to do one and are just thinking might as well do the other, just do the one you want to do. If you really want to do both, do both, you'll probably mostly just do one in your career, but they are not entirely separate fields. If you don't have strong feelings one way or the other, get into some other field, or just do the architecture degree and save yourself some money.

Jun 11, 20 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: