Archinect
anchor

Will this be good enough?

kellyloe

Hi all.

I am currently a student at university and I am looking to buy a new laptop. I am just not really sure of what to buy. Is this a good choice to buy, 

-ASUS ROG G752VT-GC060T ($2000AUD)
-Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz) Quad Core CPU
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX970M 3GB Dedicated Video
-8GB DDR4 (thinking of upgrading to 16)
-128G M.2 SSD, 1TB 5400RPM HDD

Will this be able to do most of the work with no issues? Is buying a laptop a good choice or 
should I go with a PC? The most I can spend is about $2000 AUD. 

I want to be able to use it even after graduating and start working. I'm not good with tech stuff and any help will be much appreciated.

Dec 6, 16 10:04 am

8GB of RAM is never enough.

Dec 6, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

$2k for only 8 of ram?...

Make sure you get the 17" model... that video card will pump out a lot of heat.

Upgrade that SSD to 256g if you can.

Dec 6, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Also get a 7200RPM HDD instead of 5400.

Dec 6, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
kellyloe

I agree its not enough.. I was going to try and buy 8GB more and add it. 
But these upgrades will bump the cost more that what I can afford. BTW this model is on sale, it was $3000. 

so if I find one with higher RAM, SSD and higher HDD RPM, will it be able to handle long 
hours or rendering, and having multiple app opens like Photoshop, illustrator and rhino? 
Or will it just heat up a lot, freeze and lag.

Dec 6, 16 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Heat-up? yes.

Lag and freeze? It depends.  More juice in the rendering machine does not equal better or faster renderings.  If you can model efficiently, you don't need to drop a fortune on a laptop that is unlikely to still be relevant 3 years from now.

Dec 6, 16 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

More juice in the rendering machine does not equal better or faster renderings.

Uh what?  A faster processor / faster video card does equal faster rendering times depending on your render engine.  The amount of ram / video ram you have will also limit the complexity of the scene you will be able to handle.  

Dec 7, 16 2:43 am  · 
 · 
kellyloe

Do you have an example of a good laptop? or is buying a laptop a bad idea... do you guys recommend buying a custom built PC? and what specs would you recommend?

Thank you so much for the reply's. 

Dec 7, 16 3:55 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Spoons - I think NS was trying to say work smart not hard, that'll require proficiency in modelling softwares in particular. For instance, model in such a way that the rendering engine doesn't expend ram usage in unusable parts.

Kelly - That answer depends on whether you'll spend more of your time using the faculty's computer labs or working at home. If it's the latter, go for a PC but you'll obviously be missing out on studio culture. If it's the former, an above average laptop will do fine for CS post-production work.

All gaming laptops are good for architecture students.

Dec 7, 16 4:20 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

keep your modelling simple as possible, low polycount, make your materials easy to work with, don't model unnecessary features you won't see. E.G the back of a sofa if you're not gonna show it.

Photoshop is gonna be where you'll glam It up.

Dec 7, 16 4:41 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

make sure you get something with a backlit keyboard, (is that standard now?) spring for a second, larger monitor, and don't get the cheapest mouse out there.

Dec 7, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Make sure you floss.

Dec 7, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Anchovyq

I had the same laptop from Alienware

Dec 15, 16 3:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: