Archinect
anchor

How to present document set & portfolio

lottie576

Hi, 

I have about 6 years of experience and preparing for an interview for a new job. In past interviews I carried with me bound 11x17 CD sets for all the significant projects I worked on. They were getting heavy but still possible...But now I am a point where doing that is getting quite difficult (I am guessing all together they weigh more than 50 pounds!)

Would it be better to print big sheets that I worked on extensively and only bring those? Although I feel it's little risky because some interviewers really want to look through the set, and it also helps me to have all the drawings so I can refer to them.

Also for presentation of general (more "graphic) portfolio- How many projects are good amount to go through? 

I also would appreciate other interviewing tips for my level of experience. I have experience in many different types of projects and all stages of development. Most of the firms I worked for were big firms, so although there are many benefits coming from that I do feel my experience are bit disjointed since in big firms tasks are separated and stream lined within a team. For next position I am looking for a position where I can bring those experience together in projects in holistic way.

Thank you!

Dec 4, 16 10:13 pm
BulgarBlogger

It all depends on the type of work you will be doing if you get the job. If you are applying to a firm where you will be doing mostly interiors, don't bring CD sets that just show your competency in coordinating and detailing exterior work. I would bring 2-3 projects that demonstrate 2-3 different areas of expertise and let your resume be the synopsis of talking points for the rest of your experience. What interviewers want to see is that you are capable of competently and clearly discussing work you have been involved with and through questions about it, whether you have the knowledge required to do the work you will be performing. Verifying that you and your experience are real will come from a review and check of your references. Once offered the job, it will be your sole responsibility to not let your employer down and follow through on living up to the image you set forth through your work samples and interview.

Dec 5, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
lottie576

Thank you very much for your advice! I think I am prone to presenting too much... presenting that shows different expertise, concisely, sounds great.

Dec 5, 16 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: