Archinect
anchor

Portfolio problems

oldchild

Hi,

I graduated with a degree in architecture school two years ago and now I am a graduate student. Although I graduated with good grades, I don't think my projects are good enough. On top of it, my computer and my external hard drive were stolen a few years ago, and all my things were there (don't ask how). It would have been a good idea to backup online but unfortunately it couldn't think of it at that time. So I don't have a considerable part of my projects at the moment. I have an old  hardcopy student portfolio (It's like a sophomore student portfolio -lack of content and visual stuff-), but I don't think it's good enough. I have not been involved in any project since I have focused on academic work for a while. Now I want to have a portfolio but there is not enough material to put in.

I do not know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Dec 2, 16 3:35 pm

So, oldchild, you don't have enough good work to put in a portfolio. Have you tried creating some good work to put in a portfolio?

I'm sorry your stuff got stolen. I'm not sorry you don't know how to solve your problem. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Time to stop being an "old child" and become a "young adult." You have a degree in architecture. You should know how to think creatively and solve problems. 

Dec 2, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
oldchild

@Everyday Intern

I was a little afraid of the reactions I would receive when posting here but I'm glad I did. You are right. Your comment shook me and I think I needed it. Thank you.

Dec 2, 16 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Recreate your old projects insofar as there are enough graphics to put in a portfolio spread.

Use the hardcopy for reference, make improvements using what you've learned in the meantime.

A lot of what ended up in my portfolio was designed months if not years after the final review.

Dec 2, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
oldchild

@tduds

I will do it. Thank you.

Dec 2, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Glad you took it like a champ oldchild. I was worried about it being too blunt, but in the end I figured there wasn't any benefit to mincing words. 

Dec 2, 16 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Oldchild - I empathise, was in your same shoes. Take this setback as an opportunity instead to change up what worked and what doesn't given that you've matured as a designer on hindsight. Hopefully you had some groupwork materials in there, that way your teammates would have some files backed up.

Dec 3, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: