Archinect
anchor

Architecture or Industrial Design? Which is better to become an Art Director?

natskyline

Hi, I am a just finishing my first semester of architecture school. I am having a hard time deciding between majoring in Architecture or Industrial design, I like both. I am currently Architecture, because I have been designing buildings and interiors as a hobby for years. I have recently considered industrial design because of all the opportunities of designing different products and learning to use different materials. I have also played around with fashion and jewelry design as well as robotic/mechanical/ vehicle design in the past. 

My ultimate goal is to become an Art Director and later a Creative director in the film/entertainment industry. To be able to create asthetically pleasing well made movies.

Architecture is a five year program + licensing. This degree teaches how people are affected by their over all environment which would e good for set design.  It is considered a higher degree even though it is still a Bachelor's degree. Architects can still design furniture and other products, right?

Industrial design is a 4 year program. So I would be in the job real quicker. Industrial designers design products to be used on a personal level. They can also can design buildings and have a licensed Architect stamp of approval (which would be the same as a Architecture degree without licensing). In ID I will know how to use many materials and create brands which would be useful for marketing and improvising material on set. 

I am just not sure which degree would be better. Either way I will have a design portfolio. I want to be able to have a degree which can be versital and the best fit as for job options and getting to my goal.

Any ideas?

Nov 24, 16 10:31 am
bowling_ball

If you can do an architecture degree and take a few ID courses, that's maybe your best route. I have degrees in both and i can tell you that for set design, architecture is more relevant, but there's no reason to do anything beyond a bachelor degree if your goal is to work in movies/games etc.

Nov 24, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

If you want to be involved in the film industry you need to be in LA. A lot of times you can get hired as a carpenter for set design, learn the biz and work your way up. Or use school as the route and get a stage management degree from USC.

Nov 24, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: