Archinect
anchor

Portfolio feedback && how to show professional work

Hi all --

I'm currently interviewing with my first "professional" portfolio. I have 3-4 years of professional experience now, and have removed all my academic projects from my latest portfolio (except for my thesis which I was still planning to show)

The link is below, I really struggled with making this -- for many reasons which are also bulleted below. If any hiring managers could offer me feedback and clear up my questions I would be so grateful

http://issuu.com/adobbs/docs/dobbs_portfolio_2016?e=1

specific questions --

• Length.... is it too short?
  • CV's/Resumes: I notice some people allocate the first couple pages to include their resume. Is this necessary? Do employers have a preference?
  • Balancing photos (which I didn't personally) with cad details (which I did draw personally). How much of each to include // or simply -- am I balancing the two OK? Thoughts please!
  • Overall format, how many projects to include && do employers have a preference regarding overall size of hard copy

tl;dr: I'm looking for for honest feedback from hiring managers. Portfolio link above, let me know what you think!

Nov 23, 16 10:57 am

Make sure you credit the photographers. It is a decent length but could use more substance, details, drawings/renderings/sketches you did, etc... I typically do my resume/cover letter in a separate file. Make sure the hard copy isn't obnoxious and hard to carry/file.

Also, make the cover something you've worked on.

Nov 23, 16 11:29 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I think it's really odd that you would have that personal non-architectural work section in there but feel compelled to take out school work (minus your thesis) 

Unless you have something really exceptional for personal non-architectural work I would ditch it for sure. If you need more stuff, add another school project, or more professional work. 

It felt a little brief. Maybe it just needed more content. 

I only looked at it for about 30 seconds. So that is my knee-jerk reaction. 

Nov 23, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: