Archinect
anchor

Freelance work as a student

Sustainableoutcomes

Alright so I am currently a student in a Facility Management program. I do have an associates in Architectural Technology but I am not getting a bachelors in Architecture. I have been designing some residential products in my free time and I am curious as to whether or not I am able to sell them without having certifications in architecture other than my Associate degree. I would only be interested in selling the stock designs. Is there a legal way that I can do this as a student? If so what is the best way to go about selling these designs.

Nov 22, 16 4:11 pm
JeromeS

Contact RickB Astoria; i think he is looking for a partner on a similar project.

Nov 22, 16 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

define "architectural residential products" please?

To my knowledge , if its just a "design" you can sell the intellectual properties or I.P. rights to use your design work.

If you are attempting to sell what I assume to be architectural construction documents, you would need to check with local villages, cities, town etc. planning and inspections dept to see if they allow plans submitted by non licensed professional.

But honestly, in my mind, with your very limited education and experience, I would assume that your designs may contain a plethora of minor and significant errors that after someone purchasing would loose all respect for your product and possibly sue you into your great grandchildren.

Nov 22, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, it's one thing to do a concept, a rendering, or measure/draw up existing conditions for someone (a few of us did this in school for extra cash) - but to design and sell as possible construction is another animal. I doubt you have liability insurance for the inevitable lawsuit.

Nov 22, 16 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

check your designs to complain with current codes, nuff said.

Nov 22, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
People spent real money on these?
Nov 22, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

There's a sucker born every minute and at least a few of them will buy stock house plans at some point so might as well.

Nov 22, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
sparkle01

Here in Australia, I have done a few sets of construction documents that a builder has them submitted for permit approval. My name was not on the drawings and, although i was paid by the client, it was my understanding that I was effectively producing the drawings on behalf of the builder, as his name would be on the permit application and he therefore accepts responsibility for them.

Jan 15, 17 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: