Archinect
anchor

Changed career paths and still do freelance design work?

arivas208

I was just curious who else has gone through what I did in the last few years. I started out in architectural design and after the downturn got into construction management. Now I have a full time job in CM but work as a freelance designer in the evenings and weekends mostly on residential projects. Now I am realizing that this is the way to go, putting all your eggs into the architecture basket is too risky. Thanks!   

Nov 22, 16 12:03 pm
Wilma Buttfit

I took a new career as a teacher and invested as a partner in a private school during the downturn and now do both it and architecture too. It pays a base salary but I don't have to do any of the day to day work anymore and now I just help out with some marketing and admin stuff and then I do architecture part-time freelance for a few different firms and contractors in both residential and commercial from coast to coast. It's pretty fun. Since doing this, I've met a lot of other people with non-traditional career paths or multiple careers/multiple businesses and it's really exciting and inspiring. It's definitely the way to go if you can. Having multiple sources of income is far, far better than one - recession lesson.

Nov 22, 16 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
sparkle01

I am interested in doing some freelance work myself. 

there is a there - how did you go about getting the freelance gigs?

Jan 15, 17 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

From people I know or friends of friends mostly. I've gotten jobs from 2 archinectors, 4 small jobs from a firm I used to work full-time for, several jobs from a former classmate, a few schematic designs for a colleague of a former employee, a big job from a real estate developer I met through a friend, some small projects from a contractor friend, some small jobs for the husband of a friend, I did work for an archinector's cousin too.

Jan 15, 17 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
sparkle01

sounds like it is all about the network then!

Jan 15, 17 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Once I got one job, a bunch more came my way. Still isn't full time though, I have a kid at home so it is enough.

Jan 16, 17 12:43 am  · 
 · 
sparkle01

same here, got a 1 year old under my feet!

Jan 16, 17 2:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Thanks!"

You're welcome? :-)

But seriously, am also freelancing, but mostly from one full-time (32h recently) freelance gig to the next. Working also in evenings and weekends would just be too much, I enjoy having a life next to my work. That's the beauty of freelancing for me, I'm much more in control. But I can imagine if you're stuck in a line of work that's not very satisfying beyond the pay cheque  that freelancing the odd job on the side is a way to keep the creative juices flowing...or something.

Jan 16, 17 4:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: