Archinect
anchor

structure for SNL bubble

awaiting_deletion

Hi, I am first year student. Want build the Brooklyn Bubble in SNL skit. What should I google to know structure? Any support appreciated.

SNL bubble skit

Nov 21, 16 7:19 am
Non Sequitur
Good question. I would first suggest to avoid the typical cliche that are sky hooks. Too common and overdone to no end. You'll certainly not get invited onto your studio prof's yacht.

To be ahead of the curve and literally make waves across all planes of studio realities, best to investigate the inner workings of hover piles and, moreover, how their spatial arrangement play with the sensation of floating while still seemingly remain grounded; certainly through the magic of magnets, but that for you to research.

Please don't forget to include me in your Nobel prize acceptance speech.
Nov 21, 16 7:30 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i do much research on sky hooks, sad I cannot go professor yacht. thanks Non Sequitur but you did not design bubble, please send link.

Nov 21, 16 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Put the bubble on a reflecting pool so the dome appears to be a full sphere from those who observe from outside. This is a great optical illusion.

For the bubble structure, I'd look into 1 molecule thick silica shell spun (woven?) by millennial indigo children.

So happy that SNL is in a better place where skits are funny again. Good luck.

Nov 21, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Great project Olaf.  First, you will need a renewable resource.  I'm thinking that there will be a plentiful supply of millennial tears.  By collecting tears and distilling them down in modified micro breweries your will be left with a sodium solution thick enough to pump through a 3D printer and create a salty geodesic shell which would be sustainable while symbolically representing lost hopes and dreams... 

Nov 21, 16 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Y'all salty

Nov 21, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

jla, I think you need to find better material to steal.

Nov 21, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

trump is going to build a bubble and the hipsters are going to pay for it.

Nov 21, 16 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Perfect!  Just the right amount of smug condescension that's also wonderfully ignorant.

Nov 21, 16 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Sneakypete is sad.  How many of you cry babies would support limits on free speech?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/

Nov 21, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm sad? Shit. Better wipe the smile off of my face. 

Nov 21, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wait a sec. You think I'm a millennial? Quandam thinks I'm old, you think I'm young. 

You don't know jack. 

Nov 21, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Maybe I'm not understanding your passive aggressive comments.  Care to elaborate?  By your defensive stance I assume you are a millennial brooklynite?  

Nov 21, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I don't claim to be an expert on sneakypete.  Just an assumption based on your reaction to this thread...

Nov 21, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

jla-x, 

Please don't just throw everyone into the same liberal bucket. 

There are certainly pro-cesoriship liberals out there, like Arthur Chu, for example, who have a very broad definition of what constitutes harassment. 

But there are many people on the left who do not agree with him and people like him. 

Nov 21, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I'm not throwing anyone into any bucket.  I'm simply asking a question and presenting an article I find disturbing.  According to that article 40% are in that bucket.  It's incredible to me that so few millennials understand the concept of constitutional liberties, and how all of the civil rights that they claim to cherish are rooted in the legal expansion and realization of such liberties....  My generation grew up with a healthy mistrust of govt...it's a strange thing to see this generation so trusting of govt.   almost asking govt to guard their feelings in some Orwellian dystopia.  

Nov 21, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I said you weren't funny, sorry my roundabout way of saying so led you to assume facts not in evidence. The assumptions are all yours, though. You're not someone I believe would add any value to a conversation, so my stances on topics other than your lack of comedic skills will not be forthcoming. 

Nov 21, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

SaltyPete.  Stop crying.  Your salt trail leads back a few threads where your found it intolerable that in a democratic society I exercised my right to vote for a 3rd party.  Your lousy candidate lost and you are sad.... 

Nov 21, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Keep writing narratives in fantasyland, kiddo. I'll be over here in the real world. 

Nov 21, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Might wanna see someone about your aggression issues too. I think your overcompensation meter is stuck on maximum. 

Nov 21, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

jla-x,

While I don't agree with the pro-censorship impulse and I find it to be over-controlling, I think that I understand why the idea appeals to people.  It starts with harassment, particularly harassment of women, in the form of threats of violence, and stalking, or the publishing of  personal information like telephone numbers and addresses. From there, some people expand the definition of harassment to mean nearly anything that is offensive or rude. Some extend their complaint even further to include stupid comments, false information, off-topic/disruptive comments.  Many young people see no value in the dysfunctional and abusive mess that is most of the discourse online. Look at how many people read Archinect but never participate in the comments. Comment sections are broadly considered to be "dumpster fires" of communication. And so, many people opt out of the nastiness and the flamethowing, and they wish that someone would moderate online forums with a heavier hand. Friends of mine have asked me why I bother posting comments on here. They've called you all the 4chan of Architecture. Thats the context that we exist in. 

Nov 21, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Having the owners of the site moderate and censor is perfectly fine.  I'd probably find a new site to play....but that's their site to do as they please with.  my problem is with the govt censoring content.  Those are very different things.  

Nov 21, 16 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

This article is talking about govt censorship.  

Nov 21, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

well taht went to shit fast

Nov 21, 16 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I guffawed at the skit, olaf, if it helps...

Nov 21, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this article is about building a dome over brooklyn.

why are you trying to build a world-view around "facts" such as sneakypete's age and location, when you have no idea what his age and location is?  personally, i don't think censorship will solve this problem.  it's this dissemination of obviously false claims.  you gather the false claims that reinforce your already broken world-view and discard the false claims that reject your already broken world-view.  instead of maintaining thoughtful opinions and practicing the ability to rationalize what's going on in your environment, you've built a figurative bubble around your intellectual process that prevents new information from altering your preconceived biases. 

the video is talking about a literal manifestation of your bubble.  it's interesting, because as architects it seems like a challenging design problem.

it would probably look something like this (except east coast instead of west)

Nov 21, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curt, thank you for bringing it back and giving us some other bubble examples.

George Berkeley's philosophy is becoming more applicable each year, as the lines between virtual and physical disappear and you can find ANY and I mean ANY information out there to substantiate your beliefs, fears, prejudices.  

so what the hell was Bucky thinking back in the day?

Nov 21, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Cissellicious

This may be a good place to start if you're looking to build your own bubble.  

http://replicabuildings.com/

Nov 22, 16 9:16 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

hy are you trying to build a world-view around "facts" such as sneakypete's age and location, when you have no idea what his age and location is?  personally, i don't think censorship will solve this problem.  it's this dissemination of obviously false claims.  you gather the false claims that reinforce your already broken world-view and discard the false claims that reject your already broken world-view.  instead of maintaining thoughtful opinions and practicing the ability to rationalize what's going on in your environment, you've built a figurative bubble around your intellectual process that prevents new information from altering your preconceived biases. 

What false claims?   

You are in this mainstream bubble where only information filtered through CNN seems real to you.  Your bubble is so dense and narrowly focused.  A concrete dome with an oculus spilling in television light from MSM would be most appropriate to describe your bubble in architectural terms...The tectonic similarity to religious architecture is actually very apt.  

Nov 22, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hey, again Avoid cherrios man.  MSM won't cover it, but scientists have found dangerously high levels of roundup in the cereal.  Remember when you laughed at my claim that GMOs may be harmful?  Will you take that back now?  

Just an example of the danger of bubbles...

Nov 22, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

GMOs?

please.... what next, chemtrails? fluroid? residential powerlines? 

if only I had invested in tin-foil hatwear.

Nov 22, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/12950444

Nov 22, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Huff post now is reporting it.  Good for them.  

Nov 22, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Time for the idiots to panic... and waste money on shiny organics.

Nov 22, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Well, I've put enough shit in my body over the years...not worried about me...but since cherrios are a daily thing for small kids I certainly will not give them to my kids anymore...not worth the risk...Conviniently, the FDA doesn't test for the key ingredient in roundup...the most widely used herbicide and likely contaminant...  But glad they make me get a soil test to build a pergola...and sooo glad my barber is licensed in the state...HSW.....What a joke.  

Nov 22, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 

The FDA makes you get a soil test to build a pergola!?

Nov 22, 16 11:56 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hyperbole. 

Nov 22, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Conviniently (sic), the FDA doesn't test..."

Convenient? Sure, if you consider massive lobbying and industry pressure "convenient."

But shit, don't fucking worry, President-Elect Trump will make it all better. He'll remove the pesky FDA, so you'll be able to stop feeding your kids anything found in a fucking store.

Nov 22, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Oh, I agree that he will likely make it worse.  Again, you're implying that my critique of the dems is an endorsement of the repubs.  That's a fallacy.  The reason I brought up GMOs in a discussion about bubbles is that there are real dangers and consequences for being trapped in any political parties bubble. team loyalty can blind the truth and lead to overall complacency towards injustice.  For instance, not many people have protested obamas aggressive drone program.  In just 8 years many liberals went from being anti war and non-interventionist to whatever and pro-interventionist...That's dangerous when a large populations moral compass can be so easily spun by nothing but charisma and charm.  I voted for Obama both terms.  He was overall a pretty good President, and I think he probably did an excellent job in some areas, but his nice smile seemed to cancel our ability to notice his itchy trigger finger that led to much blood shed and further destabilization in the World.   Yes, bush started it, but he continued/expanded many of bushes errors.  

Nov 22, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm not implying anything, dude. Pull the bug out of your ass, it should never have crawled up there in the first place. You accuse me of crying and shit, but you can't get past the fact that I think your third party vote was dumb. It's an opinion, get over it.

I'm pointing out the genuinely frightening possible consequences of dismantling the government, something Trump has been UNABASHED about supporting. Voting for HRC may not have been morally or ethically sound, but for fuck's sake, it was the only reasonable tactical position to take. Congrats on having the right genetics to feel safe voting third party which enabled a Trump presidency. I likely have similar genetics, but I somehow fail to feel safe.

Nov 22, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Or the bubble can be made of melted down recycled cracked iphone glass poured over a formwork that was made of 88,444 people of all race, color, and creed creating a human scaffolding like cheerleaders do but in a dome shape whereas the uppermost persons would be holding their hands skyward to form the surface on which the glass would be poured which would forever cast the actual fingerprints (I'm talking about real flesh burned into the glass, not an imprint left behind) of those who helped build it and thus carry the scars making them somewhat of a celebrity, creating a beautiful rippled appearance that obscures inside to outside views and vice versa. 

Nov 22, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are the people dressed in your human scaffolding scheme because if so, how would you specify clothing? I mean... sure, people can wear whatever, but that's sure to age the dome fashion wise.  Could you imaging if we did this in the 80s or even early 2000s? 

As a flip side argument, I'm not sure I'd want them nude either.... too many dongs swinging in the breeze.

Nov 22, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

" how would you specify clothing?"

09 96 33 High-Temperature-Resistant Coatings

Nov 22, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I didn't even think about clothing. So much to consider! Since the dome would be fully contained with no access to the outside, being dated will be a natural result and in fact part of the charm. I would specify that there be no dongs swinging in the breeze though. Good call. 

Nov 22, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

http://dai.ly/x2m3utx

Nov 22, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ much better.  but where is it made offsite?

Nov 22, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you will need an extension of sand comparable to NY, dig the shape and nuke it. sand melts into glass, flip over, attach suction cups, lift. Now, where in the world can we find that much sand?

Nov 22, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: