Archinect
anchor

M. Arch-- math?

**maplesyrup**

I've been looking at some M.arch programs here in Canada. Right now it's between UBC, Calgary, or possibly Dalhousie due to my lack of a B. Arch. I am touring a university Monday to see about getting a BFA, possibly in drawing. The last math I ever took was a WorkPlace & Apprenticeship in grade 11. I'm good when it comes to stuff like +-X/, but I never took anything like physics or calculus. I'm just wondering if taking something like an introductory physics or calculus would be of use to me in a structures class. I would like to prepare now rather than getting in there and being totally lost!

Thank you in advance- maplesyrup (yes, I love it that much)

Nov 19, 16 1:01 pm
natematt

I’m surprised they would let you into any of these programs without stipulating that you take physics. Most US schools require it.

Physics will be helpful for your structures classes. They will actually teach you calculus in physics, you just won’t know it.

Nov 19, 16 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
**maplesyrup**

Thank you natematt. I think it's odd that they would let you this sort of program without it, but they stipulate that all you need is "a bachelors degree in any four year degree equivalent to a UBC four year degree, in almost any discipline", and a kickass portfolio. I think I will hunt down a physics course, just to be safe, and I may even find it interesting. 

Nov 19, 16 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Matt not so much but physics is uber important. Perhaps not explicit but if you're terrible/unexperienced in math... good luck in the structures and technical courses.

Nov 19, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ceire

Hi, **maplesyrup** (I love your username :D)

I am in a similar situation where I am applying for a M. Arch with a B. Sc. in Biosciences. Aside from some compulsory statistics courses, I hadn't taken any math or physics related classes in years, so I contacted the school I'm applying for (UC Berkeley) asking about this issue. They replied saying that there are certain prerequisite courses of calculus and physics that I would need to take if I get admitted, but that they need only be completed prior to beginning the program itself, and not by the time of applying, so there's no rush (yet, lol).

Obviously, I don't know how it is in Canada, but I suggest you ask them directly like I did, that way you'll get the 100% accurate info.

Nov 21, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: