Archinect
anchor

Hiring managers: why the ridiculously small file restrictions?

Excess_Fat

Just wondering. 

I'm applying for jobs right now, and I keep running into these attachment restrictions. I've never heard of an email server with a 5 mb cap on attachments, so I'm sure that's not the issue. We're architects, we deal in representation! You can't show much with 5 mb (including CV!) without reducing image quality to the point of information loss. I reached a point of mild hysteria just now when I came across this: "please e-mail your resume and portfolio as a single PDF, no larger than 3MB." I guess they're just looking for thumbnails, then? 

I'm genuinely curious why you do this to us? Is it a storage issue?

Nov 18, 16 2:20 pm
no_form

"excess_fat" trim it down.  design a 3mb portfolio.

Nov 18, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Time, storage, manageability,  but more your ability to follow directions, to create compromises while still conveying the important aspects of the document. this is really what architecture is all about on a daily basis. You can't have everything. 

Nov 18, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To prevent wankers who think themselves the first coming of design jesus to submit everything they've ever done since they graduated from diapers.

Learn to edit, show only what's important and if they like it, bring the rest for the in-person interview.

Nov 18, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
Just use a one page teaser. If they like it you'll here back. Student portfolios aren't nearly as important as you think or even looked at more than a quick flip through. I did a lot of interviews out of school and I bet not more than 5 min was ever spent on them.
Nov 18, 16 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I once had a friend ask me how they should best send a 200mb portfolio to someone, they were thinking breaking it up and using megauplaod or w/e people used to use. 

yeah... 

3 is a bit low, but 5 is totally fair per the comments above. 

Nov 18, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I was told by an instructor, my 5th year in arch school during presentations, "its better to have one drawings done really really well, than 20 drawings done mediocre" from that day fwd its been my philosophy! My portfolio consist of one project with one 3d rendering, one 2d rendering of the project, one plan, one building section & one very very detailed wall section & resume.

Nov 18, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Noah Walker

I do it to see if you are capable of following instructions.  At first pass, I probably spend no more than 30 seconds looking at portfolio, keep that in mind.  If you can't impress in under 5mb then you are doing something wrong.  If I like the work and want to see more of it I will seek it out.  Always fine to add a link to a website for more work,  I like that actually.

Nov 18, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: