Archinect
anchor

fire rated slip tracks

shellarchitect

I've never done or even seen a slip track in a wood stud wall.  

My contractor wants to switch out my 1 hour mtl stud wall to the same thing only with wood studs.  Can i use the same slip track at the metal deck?  

I'm amazed that this has never come up for me before and how difficult it is to find any info

Nov 17, 16 12:35 pm
Janosh

I've never seen that with a rated wall either, but have seen wood framed walls designed for deflection with the top plate captured on both sides by blocking and connected with truss clips that allow vertical movement... 

Nov 17, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Is it a combustible construction? Did you use metal studs in this wall because of the slip tracks?

Nov 17, 16 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'd probably use a slotted metal top track, and frame the wood stud head within the slots so it can move up and down.  

Look at http://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/head-wall-deflection-systems/blazeframe-fire-stop-deflection-track

Nov 17, 16 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't forget to ask for a credit due to the swap of steel studs for wood.... also... is your rated partition required to be entirely non-combustible?

Nov 17, 16 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Actually I just found a project where I used the track on wood studs. I didn't think too much about it as long as the drywalls are lapping and that is the rating that you are trying to keep. 

Nov 17, 16 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

great, i like to product mightyaa found, used it on a shoping mall in hawaii a couple years ago. Does it really save signifcatly over traditional track and drywall?  I left that firm before they reached that point in the construction process.

this is a small, development, a drive thru restaurant with adjacent lease-able area for one or two other tenants.  VB construction

Nov 17, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: