Archinect
anchor

Looking for Personal Statement Help

nynana

Hey Y'all,

I am working on my PS and finished the first draft for GSD. Would love to get some opinion on this. I found it really hard to show the passion but at the same time provide some academic view ( I am in the BS ARCH program). Really appreciate if you could read the whole thing and tell me what you think( it's long I know)

https://issuu.com/yw5ef/docs/ps_draft_1

Thanks

Nov 17, 16 1:14 am
jonlwilk

Hey nynana, I'm in a similar position myself, so I'm not exactly clear what schools look for. However, my recommendation would be to cut down on the amount of description you provide on your work (that's what the portfolio is for, and yours looks strong) and instead talk on a more personal level. Your describing your fascination with the urban condition in Venice is wonderful, and I like the bit about buildings being deceptive. The rest is a bit overwhelming. Overall, there are typos and some sentence structure is odd, but you should be able to get general help with that.

Nov 17, 16 1:30 am  · 
 · 
nynana

@jonlwilk Thank you so much! I do think the part describing the project is a bit too much. I will fix the typo and grammar thing once I settle down with the big structure. 

Nov 17, 16 1:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Full justify the text and try and shorten the length of each paragraph. No one wants to read 2000 words crammed into large blocks.

I am not a fan of your opening sentence. Too loose, and does not grab the attention.
Nov 17, 16 7:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: