Archinect
anchor

Portfolio critique for MArch application

mainike

Hi All,

Here is my portfolio for the approaching MArch application. Any advice would be helpful!

https://issuu.com/mainike/docs/draft2.0_pages

I want to apply for GSD, GSAPP, Cornell and UPenn. My GRE is 329 (V159 Q170), GPA 3.7. School suggestions are very welcomed!

Thank you!

Nov 17, 16 12:54 am
nynana

Liked the layout! Some of the drawings are really strong 

Nov 17, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
mainike

@nynana thank you!!

Nov 22, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
CdnUnicorn

I think this is a strong portfolio and I also liked the layout. It had a nice flow to the entire thing. I wouldn't change much, really.

Maybe look into MIT and if you're interested in going to Canada UBC, UofM (University of Manitoba, McGill and Waterloo have great M.Archs.

Nov 23, 16 12:30 am  · 
 · 
34er3

Just wondering what you use for 3D Modelling and Renders?

Nov 24, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mainike

@CdnUnicorn Thank you for the school suggestions! I'm glad you like my portfolio.

Nov 28, 16 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
mainike

@34er3 For the first project in the portfolio, I used Revit for modeling. Other projects I used Rhino. I only used V-Ray for very basic rendering and post -prcessing by photoshop.

Nov 28, 16 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

Folio seems good, but your cover image does not gel very well with your design style. I was expecting excursions in parametric/process based design from your cover, but was greeted with essentially orthogonal work inside. Perhaps a more appropriate front cover, but that is a small detail.

Nov 29, 16 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Some nice work in there.

My 2 cents.

1. Agree about the cover

2. Get rid of the skills section.

3. Edit down the drawings. Imo the first pages of the projects strikes the right balance between image, text and white space.

4. Fix the elevation to the creative arts center. It overshadows the whole portfolio. Not in a good way.

5. Rethink the boxes around images.

I think with the right editing it could be really strong.

Nov 29, 16 2:25 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^I really don't get why I keep seeing skills listed in portfolio's for grad school. 

Nov 29, 16 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Because the folio isn't ONLY for grad school. Simpler to combine them for publishing and job hunt.

Nov 29, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^First of all, folio and portfolio are not interchangeable. 

Secondly, it's not wise to use the same portfolio for both, and the OP stated explicitly that this is for school. I mean how hard it is to just add that part in for job hunting anyway, it's not like you are going to use the same exact physical copy. 

Nov 29, 16 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Right...semantics, hah!

Seeing as how the candidate DOESN'T actually submit the pages via ISSUU but rather by uploading pages (as per institutes' instructions), it really isn't difficult to infer that the portfolio uploaded on issuu isn't the final outcome for submission (layout wise).

I mean, do you actually expect them to submit a copy including their resume when some school's require the resume and portfolio to be submitted separately?

Nov 29, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
mainike

Thank you guys for the feedback! They are very helpful. I would rethink my cover.

And yeah I would not include my resume in the application upload. I saw skills in people's resume a lot, but it seems most of people here don't suggest putting it in any resume?

Nov 29, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

^For a job, yes.

Don't rate yourself unless they specifically ask. 

Don't oversell. 

Nov 30, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 
natematt

@archietechie

He said it was his school portfolio, I had no reason to assume he would take pages out. So I commented. 

To be fair, portfolio has adopted meaning. I am more bothered by "folio" because it's jargon. (I also really dislike the constant use of "zine")

I'm too young to be this grumpy...

Nov 30, 16 2:53 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Fair point, I was being overtly nitpicky over such a minute matter too.

Nov 30, 16 3:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: