Archinect
anchor

Which internship to choose

architaco

I'm about to begin an eight-month internship as part of my fourth year of school. I've been very lucky in my job search and have found opportunities with several firms. Currently, I've narrowed it down to three options: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson in Seattle, Wheeler Kearns in Chicago, and Rick Joy Architects in Tucson. I would be most excited about living in Seattle, but this opportunity has the lowest pay and is in the most expensive city.

Can anyone offer advice about important factors to consider when making my decision? I obviously want to make the choice that would benefit me in the short-term and the long-term, but I'm not certain what factors I should be considering or which firm has the best implications for my future career.

Thank you!

Nov 10, 16 1:51 pm
I know people who are very happy at Wheeler Kearns, and the firm does great work. I personally don't think you're going to go wrong with any of the three options.
Nov 10, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are they paid?

Nov 10, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Working for Rick Joy would be an incredible experience - I'd definately be getting some sun and heading to AZ

Nov 10, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

If you want to work in Seattle, but aren't happy with the compensation ... see if you can negotiate something better. You have absolutely nothing to lose as you still have the other two to fall back on if they rescind their offer.

... plus it lets Bohlin Cywinksi Jackson know they aren't offering a competitive enough compensation.

Nov 10, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Where do you want to ultimately live?  Which office will provide future contacts?  

Nov 10, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

BCJ will give you a great opportunity to work with some seriously talented people. The pay there is on the mid-to-low end, at least it was at the office I worked with, but the experience I gained opened a ton of doors..

Nov 10, 16 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: