Archinect
anchor

Is it ethical for a firm to use the name of a dead former principal?

Is there some number of years before they should stop doing so?

Nov 7, 16 7:57 pm
archietechie

Right up until the remaining partners establish a school named after said principal.

Nov 7, 16 8:10 pm
Olaf Design Ninja_

ask Skidmore, Owings and Merrill? SOM

Nov 7, 16 8:11 pm

it seems creepy

Nov 7, 16 8:12 pm
Olaf Design Ninja_

it would be creepier if they had paintings everywhere of the dead partners?

Nov 7, 16 8:14 pm
gruen

In fact it is more ethical to use the names of people who have never been involved. Which is why my firm is named "Einstein, Jesus, Wright & Lennon, Architects"

Nov 7, 16 8:14 pm
Olaf Design Ninja_

I think Eisenman, Jesus, Wright was the shit until Lennon came on board. Tha Jesus was a detailing pro, walk on water? no problem he had a detail for it.

Nov 7, 16 8:16 pm

They (the living) should at least come up with a new name, since the dead person probably did the heavy lifting

Nov 7, 16 8:20 pm

It can be mandated by the state that a professional corporation not use the name of deceased partners. YMMV.

Nov 7, 16 8:22 pm
Olaf Design Ninja_

HOK. KPF. the trick is to use the initials right? Is Gensler still alive?

Nov 7, 16 8:28 pm
archietechie

But begs the question though, do they become just another corporate firm when the founder's novelty dies off?

Case in point: What will become of ZHA when the digital avant-garde is no longer avant-garde?

Nov 7, 16 8:32 pm

That doesn't work for Finney, Ungers, Clancy & Kitchell

Nov 7, 16 8:34 pm

after ZHA comes the robot overlords

Nov 7, 16 8:35 pm
babs

Olaf -- yes, Art Gensler is still alive (and, I hear, he still comes into the office)

Nov 7, 16 8:52 pm
tduds

YMMV Architects has a nice ring to it.

Nov 8, 16 1:14 am

Neither Lawrence Perkins nor Phillip Will have been alive for quite some time, but Perkins+Will has offices everywhere. My own employer also operates under the name of its long-deceased founder.

Nov 8, 16 1:33 am
JeromeS

I've re-named my firm Greene & Greene- cuz I like the color.

Nov 8, 16 7:37 am
Non Sequitur

Ren and Stimpy architects.

Nov 8, 16 8:04 am
Non Sequitur

Ren and Stimpy architects.

Nov 8, 16 8:05 am
geezertect

Anything is better than some of the cutesy names that some architects name their firms.  JMHO.

Nov 8, 16 8:27 am
x intern

You almost have to if you have built up a reputation where clients come to you.

Nov 8, 16 8:40 am

There's also the DBA workaround:  you can be known as Sink & Fawcett Architects (the name we joked about in arch school if I went into practice with one of my classmates) even after both Sink and Fawcett are dead if you are legally registered as SF Architect Corporation, DBA Sink & Fawcett Architects.

Nov 8, 16 9:12 am

^ I think that's how firms like Perkins+Will do it. Donna, you could also form a partnership with these guys and become Kitchen Sink.

(My new favorite firm name: Love Schack. And they actually have some nice-looking projects.)

I have a personal pet peeve with firms that are only known by an alphabet-soup set of initials. Back home in Cincinnati, almost all the major local firms have such names: GBBN, FRCH, MSA, CR, SHP, KZF, the list goes on. And most of their projects are fairly indistinguishable from each other, and they pretty much all share the same local talent pool. I swore that if I ever started a firm in Cincinnati, it would have an actual name and not just a grouping of initials.

Nov 8, 16 9:50 am
randomized

Non Sequitur, I would go for Rem and Stimpy architects...

Nov 10, 16 3:31 am
SneakyPete

Another tempest in a teapot to keep us arguing among ourselves?

Awesome.

Nov 10, 16 11:36 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading