Archinect
anchor

Which comes first? Concept or Forming a Floor Plan?

jianenorielnaval

I've been an architecture student for 5 years yet I still don't know how should I start working on my plate. On my previous design classes, my professors would always remind me that I should start creating a floor plan and apply concepts for the elevation. However in my present design class my current professor would ask us to form a concept first then afterwards create a floor plan. Which one should I do first? Start doing my plate right away or form a concept first?

Also, may I ask for some tips on how should I really start doing my design? Because I always end up procrastinating and I want to avoid that as soon as possible. I also take too much time in research. Can you help me?

Nov 1, 16 11:44 am
Non Sequitur

5 years and you still don't understand that design is subjective and not easy-to-follow paint-by-number rule-driven? How have you not flunked out yet?

Nov 1, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

don't over think it - everybody had different approaches and your professors are not right or wrong.  The most important think you can do is try all techniques and see what resonates with you.  The emphasis on concept can sometimes drive a project from the beginning or the concept can emerge from process, by starting work first.  The important thing here is to always remember that your professors approach shouldn't become yours by default, remember to find your own creative process - that is the end goal.

Nov 1, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Either's fine, no hard and fast rule. Nobody can teach you how to think or "design" so if you happen to stumble across one or another first, tell your professor this is the way you'd like to approach the brief and work your way from there. Ultimately, it's all about drawings and sketches in the conceptual stages until you find a way forward. Either get diagnosed and confirm if you have adhd or you're in the wrong major. If you can't focus on the task at hand after 5 years worth of education...shudder to think what you'll achieve in the working society. P.s.: Browsing through pinterest =! Research

Nov 1, 16 11:52 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The process is completely different from person to person, you just have to find your groove. Some people take longer than others to find their groove.

Nov 1, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Plan first. Starting with elevations, etc only wastes time. Surely you have read Sullivan's "Form Follows Function", or later Wright's "Form and Function are one."

Nov 1, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

architecture school is the best time to experiment, but after 5yrs you should hav a general idea how to go about a design process that works for you. like most have said im a little stuned that after 5yrs you still seem to be struggling with this.

what happens when you get a real job, were you are required to design a 2,500sf dental office expansion, which introduce a whole new set of design variables, such as regulating requirments, time, budget, materials, etc. and you have a week or less to pull something together.

Nov 1, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
Clients needs
Building program
Work out adjacency and function

You have to work this out before you start. You may have style or look the client wants but dont fall into forcing the above into an abstract concept.

Most of what we call cutting edge is just playing with the facade.
Nov 1, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if you start with floor plan first you can find a concept. if you start with concept first your floor plan is constrained to the concepts inherint language. in the real world you juggle multiple "concepts" - clients program, code, etc.... i always researched too much as well and then whipped out a design like 48 hours before jury. my rexommendation is just start drawing plans in the computer, sketching is to loose to really force resolve.

Nov 1, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I always start with a pretty well-formed "image" in my mind of what I want the building to look like.  I usually think through a design in my mind before drawing anything.  Then I do a series of small sketches of that image.  After that, I'll sketch out plans, keeping in mind the "image". 

Don't let anyone sell you that "form follows function" crap. :)

Nov 1, 16 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Nutter said: "if you start with floor plan first you can find a concept. if you start with concept first your floor plan is constrained to the concepts inherint language."

But if you start with floor plan then your concept is constrained to the plan's inherent language.  :)

Nov 1, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

correct you are EKE.

and generally speaking, that type of architecture pays bills but isn't all that exciting, most the times...but then I think of the few quick lessons I've had on "Classical" architecture, and the plan does a lot more than stay at the 2D plane.

Nov 1, 16 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You do both simultaneously.  Takes two second to have a general idea of your concept.  Then test it out with basic scaled plans to see if it might work.  No use trying to force a football field concept into a tiny parking lot. 

Nov 1, 16 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so we have any floor plans yet?

Nov 4, 16 6:52 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Brief > Ideology > Concept/Plans either way.

Nov 4, 16 7:09 am  · 
 · 
pdouble

I like that you are being exposed to more than one approach to design. Don't over think it. Enjoy it, learn from it. Then afterwards reflect on what you learned when using both approaches to design, then you decide that answer. I would say this one approach is more about optimizing the use of interior space and other other is more about optimizing the views from the exterior environment. Pavilions, Installations or similar structures may need the form/concept approach first. That is how they will be experienced. On the other hand, most offices, schools, homes etc will be experienced mostly from the interior, so your design decisions could start there, and then form will follow. The magic happens when you can do both, optimizing usage of space while also being aware of form and beauty...

Nov 4, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: