Archinect
anchor

Residential Architecture less competition?

arivas208

Currently, I work construction management for a large general contractor in the Denver area. I also work as a freelance residential designer/drafter for a couple of local architects. They both seem to be extremely busy and very well off. One of them mentioned to me that he currently had 17 projects he was working on. The other one has a huge backlog of CAD work he has lined up for me. Is it just me or does residential design seem to be less appealing to younger architects? Does mostly everyone starting out lean to more of the commercial type of work? Thanks! 

Oct 31, 16 1:42 pm
x intern
Unless you have connections to people with a lot of money residential work is a quick way to go under. They eat time and have a small fee.
Oct 31, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Seems like it's less appealing to younger designers - hard to find people with good experience in it.  I'm assuming that it's because it's not published visibly.  Odd considering you get more involved in all aspects of a project quickly, and given the right demographic of clients, pays rather well.

Oct 31, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

what x says, of course residential is appealing to youngsters, but to start their own firms and jump into stardom by doing their parents and their friend's third homes in Gstaad.

Oct 31, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I personally have no interest in luxury residential projects which is most residential projects, rarely will I get a good residential one.

Nov 1, 16 5:27 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The majority of houses in the USA have pitched roofs, wood or brick cladding, and punched openings.  The design of such houses is generally not taught in American architecture schools.

Nov 1, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^you are correct, all that you learn by working at a development company.

Nov 1, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
makingspace

residential is the absolute worst market for many reasons 

low fees

clients with unrealistic expectations 

architect becomes couples councilor

working on weekends and nights (that's when couples are available)

hard to move from residential into other building typologies as a professional i.e.: pigeon holed

residential work dries up fast when market begins to dip

often young people do not get licensed because they "make a lot of money" doing houses and in the long run that severely limits their options.

(personal reason) - hate being involved in people's personal lives, measuring their existing homes or learning about their daily lives in order to develop a program and spaces they want

Nov 1, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
revitmonk
Also a large majority of residential projects do not require the seal of a licensed architect by law. This means you end up competing with drafters for low fees or contractors who throw "design" in for free.

This free "design" is usually copied from a magazine, by a drafter or contractor. A lot of owners think they can design as well, which usually means pasting together features from houses they see in magazines.
Nov 1, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Done right, residential can be a profitable venture.

In the Illinois area we have done about 500 residential projects of all stripes over the past 20 years.

Yes in states where a drafter can submit for Type V construction it pushes down fees. However, with the demands of the IECC 2015 most unlicensed folks can't do the math and we are still brought in. 

Yes, high end picky clients are a royal pain - we pass on them

That said we have moved away from marketing it we take them by special request only. Such as the great little farm house we are working on. 

It all goes with managing the expectations of the client. 

That said, our best residential clients are full scale remodels of modest sized homes (2500-8,000 sqft)  and where we are also the CM. 

Nice to hear Denver is popping. 

M

Dec 8, 16 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: