Archinect
anchor

Need advice on approaching professor for recommendation letters

amazed_corgi

I am going to apply several grad schools which deadline is in December and January. 

My situation is that I had a unsatisfying final year project, and need to retouch it before the deadline. My professor agreed to help me and give comments. 

However, as I was studying for gre in last month, I havent started retouching it yet. The deadline is close, should I still ask for recommendation letters from that professor right now? Im afraid he would think Im not eligible to apply for the schools I want. But if I ask after I have finished retouching the project, it would be too late to ask for recommendation letters.

What is your advice?

Oct 29, 16 1:02 pm
archietechie

You miss a 100 shots you don't take. Do it, just so you won't have any second thoughts in future. Going off tangent here though, are all professors that helpful? My experience has been anything but off semesters.

Oct 29, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Ask, but also ask to sit down and discuss your goals for grad school and beyond.  Have a frank discussion about strengths and weaknesses, why your application list looks the way it does, etc.  They may be able to give you other schools to consider, etc.  The more the professors know, the better their letter can be.

archietechie: depends on school and faculty, but I've been fortunate to have had faculty like that - some kept in touch and we still discuss theory and professional life.

Oct 31, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: