Archinect
anchor

Let's hear your hiring stories

nabrU

As the title says, maybe it would be good to hear some positive stories about hiring as opposed to quitting?

Oct 28, 16 9:25 pm
Larchinect

Would love to hear from those more experienced in the hiring process. I havent been on archinect in a while, but its almost funny to see all the 'quitting' threads, given the fact that when I joined around 2009-2010, just 6 years ago, people were desperate, willing to take jobs doing pretty much anything. I remember that time well. It wasn't good.

Oct 28, 16 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

The labor market has done a 180 turn from 2009-10.  We advertise our job openings and get few to no qualified candidates these days. 

Oct 29, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Yep - we've been having trouble finding people with a decent amount of experience. Lots of poaching going on these days. I'm getting calls/emails several times a week.
Oct 29, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Had to fire one recently-very excited to be working but so clueless he was dangerous.
Oct 29, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got hired on Thread Central just about exactly a year ago.

Oct 29, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I had a potential employee show up to an interview with her child and husband. That was weird. She didn't get the job. I was thinking I'd have to deal w the husband too-no good. Didn't help that on top of that she didn't interview well.
Oct 30, 16 9:47 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I applied to a large number of firms back in 2013. Things picked up end of the year and I had about 10 interviews in early 2014. I flew out to Boston and interviewed at two firms in the area. A couple days after getting home I got an offer from one of the firms. It was alright, but not quite what i wanted.

That same day another firm I had a phone interview with a month prior emailed me asking for another interview. I got the email at like 6pm, so I sent one back saying they'd have to skype me that next morning. They got back to me in the morning and we skyped. The interview was only around 10-15 min and they basically just asked me what I was looking for. At the end I told them they'd have to get back to me that night with an answer, and they did, and that is where I work now.

Oct 30, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
mrstsang

It is really lucky that I got hired my dream kindergarten!

Actually I am just grate, they still willing to offer me a chance to interview

The same day, they called me and said I am already accepted by them.

Oct 31, 16 8:50 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

strange story that I've prob told here before....had an offer over the phone from a major E and A firm a while ago and was told to expect an email with the same offer soon.  Couple weeks later they called back and said they couldn't offer that salary because i'd be making more than people at a similar level in another office, told them I'm sure we could work something out and to let me know.  Couple weeks later I get an actual offer for more than the original offer!

Oct 31, 16 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

1. went looking for some help from professionals on a competition I was running on a Thu night at a professional dinner function- walked away with an interview offer, started the following Monday. (middle of recession)

2. asked to have portfolio review by an alum - got introduced to the partners (both of whom I spoke to at different professional networking functions), got an offer 3 days later

Very tough environment to hire in right now - few people left that a) survived the downturn b) have the skill set needed for full scope design/CD/CA c) are still in willing to work below senior level.

Oct 31, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: