Archinect
anchor

experience requirements for california licensure

G4tor

http://www.cab.ca.gov/candidates/becoming_a_licensed_architect/

Hi all,

I'm currently doing my IDP stuff on NCARB and I have a question with regards to the amount of experience you need to get licensed in California. 

According to the link posted abv, it states 

• Provide verification of five years of education equivalents and three years of architectural practice experience for a total of eight years of experience as evaluated by the Board;

On my idp fill out, it states that my accumulated idp hrs = 3.792 experience of work. So it seems to satisfy the 3 years of arch practice experience. However, I went UC Berkeley for my undergrad (i.e. BA of architecture; 4 year degree) and don't know what that equates to in terms of education equivalent. If i don't have 5 years, but have 4 (and that's a non-ncarb accredited degree), how many years of architectural exp do i need to have?

Thank you all

Oct 27, 16 2:37 pm
BulgarBlogger

studying for my California Supplemental Exam now. This came up. Unfortunately, you only have 3.792 years of experience. A professional (accredited degree) is the only type of degree that qualifies for experience. 

Sorry man- it sucks. This is exactly why I keep telling people that a 5 year degree will help you out so much over the long run...

Oct 27, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
proto

bulgar

i'm looking at getting my cali license via experience/reciprocity (avoiding ncaarb re-cert) -- they don't reveal much about the exam prior to submitting your qualifications. Can you share anything about what they are looking to test?

Local law? general architectural practice stuff?

thx

Oct 27, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I'm studying using David Daucette's Whole Enchilada.. super helpful but a lot of studying... good luck!

Oct 27, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
parcspace

The link provided says you can receive up to four years of credit for a non-accredited degree in architecture.

Bulgar, do you mind explaining your comment? Did you find this is no longer valid? I'm in the same boat as G4tor, with four years of experience and an unaccredited degree. I thought this might get me close to satisfying the requirements and planned to contact the board soon.

I'd appreciate any perspective on this.

Oct 27, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

It states:

"A candidate must provide verification of at least five years of education and/or architectural work experience to be eligible to begin the examination and licensure process. Candidates can satisfy the five year requirement in a variety of ways, including the following:

1. Provide verification of a three year, five year, or six year professional degree in architecture through a program that is accredited by NAAB or CACB"

So your 4 year unaccredited degree will count toward 4 years of your 6-year degree, ie your degree + a 2 year MArch degree.

Since you are almost at 4 years experience, this might be helpful:

"Note: As described above, California does not require an accredited degree in architecture for examination and licensure. However, most other states require an accredited degree for licensure. California candidates may also receive credit for qualifying work experience to fulfill the education portion of the examination and licensure eligibility requirements."

So you could start sitting for exams in 1 year but would need 3 more years of IDP to fulfill the 8 year total.

That's my understanding of it anyway. Hope that helps.

-Robert

Oct 27, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
parcspace

Thanks Robert, that's my understanding as well. 

Oct 27, 16 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
proto

BulgarBlogger, how's it going? how'd you do?

I'm in the cleared-to-test phase, and just paid up for the Doucette course and about to start studying.

Mar 16, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: