Archinect
anchor

Bachelor's in UK and M(arch) in Canada?

hi47

Hi all! This might be a bit long so please bear with me. 

I'm an international student that has just got my B(arch) from the U.K (kent) in July. As you may know the UK is making it harder and harder for foreign students to find work and eventually settle in the country. I even got a job working for two months at a firm in South London but my employers decided that they couldn't sponsor me, I am now back in my country. 

My original plan was to work for about 9/10 months in my home country before returning to the UK for my M.Arch, however i'm starting to think of doing my M.Arch in Canada instead. It seems to be a lot more welcoming to international students and it allows us to work for a number of years after graduation. I believe the opportunity to work is vital as I plan on becoming a licensed architect further down the line. 

I'm open to relocating and settling down in Canada and have been looking at masters programs. Ideally i'd like to study/settle in a vibrant city with internship/employment opportunities further down the line. 

*Does anyone have any experience with M.Arch programs in Canada?

*How would my british degree hold up in comparison to the undergrads in Canada?

*Can i complete my masters in two years just like the U.K?

*And what schools would you recommend I apply to?

The university ranking system is quite different to the U.K and i'm not sure where to start looking. Alternatively do you think i'm better off going back to do my masters in the UK and trying to get a job once i graduate? 

Thanks in advance!

Oct 25, 16 12:20 pm
Bench

and it allows us to work for a number of years after graduation

Moreso than any others? You have a reliable source for this? All the foreign co-op students in my classes went back home to complete their work periods from what I remember.

Oct 25, 16 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ my experience as well. I know plenty who stayed and worked under the table in order to avoid suspicions.

as for the questions above:

1.  Yes, plenty. What do you want to know? Last I checked, Canada is large (citation needed) and there are only 10 schools with accredited M.arch programs.  Make sure you pick a city and school you'll enjoy.
  2. Depends, you'll probably need some sort of comparative process but there are no B.arch degrees in Canada anymore. One can apply to most Masters with any bachelor degree. Only a few schools require an architecture background
  3. Yes and no. It'll depend on the school and the quality of your undergraduate program.  Some of the top schools (Waterloo and McGill) have 1.5 to 2 year completion times but not all students complete it under 2 years. 3 years or 3.5 is not un-common if they ask you to do a qualification term (or 3).
  4. See above.
Oct 25, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: