Archinect
anchor

expressionist architecture

archi143

HI 
can anybody help me that how a hospital designed on modernism should be modified into expressionism?
how a hospital building looks like a piece of expressionist architecture ?

Oct 24, 16 6:12 pm
gwharton

Make it as ugly as possible, specify the most expensive materials you can find, use parametric tools to model it, and you're most of the way there.

Oct 24, 16 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sounds like an efficient hospital.  Also make sure the ambulances need to circle the building twice before finding the emergency drop-off.

Oct 24, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Hospital buildings are typically not expressionist in style or execution.  I think that term is a misnomer in architecture in general - expressionism is a painterly movement not an architectural one.  A Kandinsky painting is expressionist - fluid and spontaneous.  A building that required 50 sheets of construction drawings and engineering is not regardless of the final output - I think the closet you can get is a Gehry and those are craptastic leak machines.  Taut is not even close - alpine architecture and glass pavilion are way to crystalline and ordered to be considered expressionist.

Oct 24, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
wunder_waffle

Maybe your prof is hoping you will investigate brick expressionism.  Wiki it.  There are neo expressionists like Enric Miralles and Caruso St. John that are much more relevant to the continuity of architecture than the likes of Zaha/Schumacher/Gehry. 

Oct 24, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

extract the parts and programs that would not be less efficient/productive as a space if turned "expressive" over performance

Oct 24, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
archi143

actually i was also confused that hospital is a fully functional project..and in expressionism form is more important rather than function..
i want to design its elevation that looks like a expressionist building..not want to alter its function 

Oct 25, 16 3:23 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

screw expressionists.. focus about the experience first.

anyways.. back to your question.  you could just design a monolithic concrete block.  that's expressionist

Oct 25, 16 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: