Archinect
anchor

GSD/GSAPP/MIT Admissions???? How hard is it?

Matthew_Ninivaggi

Hey Guys,

I'm a senior at NYU majoring in Urban Design and Architecture Studies (humanities based) with a minor in Documentary film. I'm applying to M.Arch. programs and I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I'm likely to be accepted!  

I did the Columbia Intro to Architecture program, I've worked one job in an architecture firm, and I've got a lot of good photography and some drawings. I've got good letters of rec too and I've completed all of the prerequisite courses.  Any advice? Should I include artsy pen drawings even if they're not "architectural"? 

GRE: 158V, 163Q, 5.5W, GPA: 3.816 

Oct 24, 16 4:02 pm
natematt

Obligatory 

http://time.com/43750/walmart-acceptance-rate-lower-than-harvards/

Oct 24, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

no one cares about getting a job at walmart.

but i think you have a fair shot. your gpa and test scores are where they need to be. I would say you have a 50/50 shot at most elite schools (yale, columbia, UPenn, maybe gsd) but we would have to see your SOP and portfolio. and yes include pen drawings, paintings, photographs, even some professional work, etc... take a look at detail architectural magazine and sites like awwwards.com to get a good idea on how to layout your portfolio. IMO the layout is almost more important the the work inside the portfolio. a bad layout will force the admissions office just to skip your portfolio since they are looking at hundreds a day.

good luck!

Oct 25, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew_Ninivaggi

Thanks for your reply, Diko. I understand about the layout and I have some experience with laying out lookbooks/presentations in InDesign. I'll post a draft of my portfolio when it's completed (trying to add more advanced/contemporary work because I'm taking classes currently). Thanks!

Oct 25, 16 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Well obviously Driko, I'm just jerking them around because there are two kinds of people that ask these questions on here all the time.

50/50? There's no point in giving a number without looking at both the portfolio and SOP.

Oct 26, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew_Ninivaggi

For the SOP, how much should be about the University itself? They obviously know how good they are, so I don't want to waste time talking about things they already know. Columbia's word count is a mere 500 words and I want them to get both a good picture of my life and intentions, and why I want to go there. Is there a recommended percentage of the SOP to devote to why I want to go to the University? 

Oct 26, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

@natematt 

i say 50/50 because half the job is done. He hits the stats that these schools will look for. The top school have a rep of being the best and want to hold that position. I know that most if not all arch schools wont state a minimum gpa/gre score but they do have a minimum. the other half you need to hit are the portfolio and SOP which are arbitrary which i say that a portfolio layout is almost more important than the content. 

@matty_nin123

when writing your SOP take a look at the director message of each school you apply to. Try to write a custom letter for each school. The director message will give you a good idea on what they value and what type of student they look for. Although i had some friends ignore this completely and write up a manifesto and used the same SOP for each school and still be admitted to each school they applied (most of them went to UMichigan) and state the school you are applying to as such IE University of Michigan is Tuabman College. (but i think you get that point). 

the directors message will look like this and each school will have one. 

http://architecture.mit.edu/department/welcome

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/message-from-the-dean/

Oct 26, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

here are some resources for building your portfolio 

https://visualizingarchitecture.com/

https://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/publications/dimensions

scroll down to the pdfs.

Oct 26, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@Driko 

Most of the people that apply there have good GPA/GRE. Otherwise i think your commentary is on point. 

Oct 26, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

OP, I am currently sitting in Gund. I went to a nowhere state school with a worse GPA, better GRE...include the pretty pen drawings if you want.  Your portfolio should demonstrate how you think.  If you think by drawing, then great, include them.  If they're just renderings, then don't bother.  

Search Issuu for GSD/SOA/GSAPP portfolios, use those for design guidelines

Oct 26, 16 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
raspberry_cat_

Thank you @driko - those help a lot! 

Oct 27, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

@raspberry_cat_ 

no problem. Be sure to have peers and professors review your portfolio and SOP and best of luck applying to schools. Im sure you will get into at least 1 school that you will be more than happy to attend. 

Oct 28, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: