Archinect
anchor

Summer intern

eastcoast

Hello,

I am a second year student in an undergraduate program. I would like to get an internship for the summer and am trying to get a head start on the process. What is the best possible way to find an internship for the summer. Also what do these intern positions really do. I don't feel like I know enough about architecture yet to really contribute in a meaningful way but Ive heard you don't really do much anyways? I also live in a relatively low scale area so they are mostly all just small firms that don't even want an intern. 

Thanks, E

Oct 23, 16 12:19 am
Non Sequitur
It's hard to get started without knowing the basics of drafting and construction details. With that said, never accept an unpaid position.
Oct 23, 16 6:19 am  · 
 · 
You'd be doing anything from redlines, to renderings and presentation material, to filing, to anything else the firm needs and thinks you can handle. It shouldn't be too much trouble after 2nd year to get an internship, but don't accept unpaid.
Oct 23, 16 10:24 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

To connect with local firms, I suggest you start attending AIA events in the area.   Most AIA chapters also have online job listings and they can post your resume.  Your school's career services office may be helpful as well.

The most in demand interns are those that can do drafting edits on AutoCad and/or Revit files.  If you don't yet know how to do that, make it a priority to learn.

Oct 26, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: