Archinect
anchor

Some NBC 2010 questions- Canada

aim1

Hello,

I have ExAC exam next month (Licensing exam in Canada). So I have few questions regarding NBC 2010. Please see that the answers must be from NBC 2010 only as my exam does not permit any other codes or other versions.

1) Are “Large malls” assembly or mercantile occupancy? Stores are Grp E, but if its a mall, where public assembles, would it not be combined Grp A2 & E?

2) After determining floor assemblies f.r.r. from 3.2.2.article, we then find Exit, elevators and shafts ratings.

Does these exit, elevator, shaft rating apply to HORIZONTAL members (like STAIR RUNS) or VERTICAL members (like SHAFT WALLS)?

e.g see attached image file "Question 2". 5-storey building, sprinklered throughout, 5th & 4th storey are grp C, 3rd & 2nd storey are Grp D & 1st storey is grp. E. Floor assembly ratings are already provided as per 3.2.2. article. The roof rating is 0h because sprinklers are permitted in lieu of roof rating.

So, when I calculate my exit shaft rating by article 3.4.4.1. (which is already calculated and shown in answer 1 & 2), does this exit shaft rating apply to the horizontal members (like stair run and landing) or veritical shaft walls?

3) For the image in above question 2, if ANSWER 2 is correct, so does this mean that the Exit shaft WALLs (in addition to roof) at top storey is allowed 0 hr. f.r.r? (because its a sprinklered building so roof rating will be 0h, and generally, exit shaft f.r.r. are same as floor assemblies f.r.r.)

4) Floor assemblies f.r.r.: What is the f.r.r. for the lowest floor as shown in the attached image "Question 4" and why? (Sometimes in real life too the building might need to be constructed below ground and not above, in which case, we cannot have building height)

e.g. Building is Grp D, building area: 1500 Sq.m.; Facing: 1 Street; Height: 3 storeys; Sprinklered: No

I already found the top 3 floors assemblies' f.r.r. but I am not very sure about the lowest floor as this building has basement and 3.2.2. articles are dependent on building height which will be 3-storey here.

5) Does anyone know where does it say in code that lobby walls (when we have exit through a lobby) needs to have 1 h f.r.r. fire separation if the building is not sprinklered (3.4.4.1. says 45min and not 1 hour)?

6) Where does 3.5.2.1.(3) specify that it is a barrier-free elevator or why is it considered barrier-free elevator? P.S. The person who stated this asked me to refer to “Appendix E: “Elevator Requirements for Persons with Physical Disabilities in Jurisdictions Enforcing NBC. Because there is no “Appendix E” in NBC 2010. So any other reference?

Thanks a lot,

Best

Oct 22, 16 2:59 am
bowling_ball

Even if we could understand what you're asking (I can't with any confidence), we certainly can't give you the answers to questions like these. If you don't know how to find these answers, I'd be concerned that you're not nearly ready for the exams. Fire separation issues are just about the most basic topic to be found in the code.

Oct 22, 16 4:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
  1. I believe shopping centers are considered as one large assembly occupancy.
  2. You need to get a better understanding on how exiting and fire ratings work.  Only the stair enclosure (ie. all four sides... don't call it a shaft, that's a different thing) need to be rated and that is more often than not, at 2hr.  The actual stair components need not be rated unless you transition from a vertical enclosure to a strange tunnel or horizontal one. Please do remember that as per NBC,  in any multi-level building, such as your examples, you will certainly require a standpipe for the sprinkler system and this pipe will need to be fully enclosed within the stair enclosure. Bonus info because I feel generous this morning and my coffee is not ready.
  3. No. The rating on the stair enclosure must be continuous on all vertical walls. The roof may be allowed to remain 0, however, depending on the construction, you may require a rated suspended ceiling within the stair enclosure in order to protect against ceiling joists or other elements which penetrate (gigiti) the walls at the 0hr rated assembly.  Bonus point... please understand that 0 rating is not the same as no rating.
  4. the lowest floor rating will be determined like all the others.  You'll need to find the occupancy type which will determine the rating.  I am not sure about crawl-spaces or un-occupied spaces but most likely there will be rating on the ground floor assembly. This sentence from you gives me pause: "Sometimes in real life too the building might need to be constructed below ground and not above, in which case, we cannot have building height" This does not tell me you fully understand how buildings are designed in Canada.  There is hardly a reason, unless building strip retail or warehouses, that you do not include some sort of foundation space and at the very least, the footings and walls have to reach below the frost line. Food for thought: The ExAcs are competence tests, not memorization. If you don't understand how buildings function and are built, you won't get very far.
  5. That's a more complicated question than you make it.  You're normally allowed one exit through a lobby from a building (the other directly to the outside) and the rating of the walls are determined by the exposed separating faces (distances measured from the front of each tenant).  I've never... I mean never, set a wall rating to 45mins.
  6. I got nothing for this one. Elevators are delt with in a different part of the code but accessibility is within division 3. With that said, we hire elevator consultants to determine what we need for our projects and I cannot recall an elevator/accessibility question on my exams back in... 2011? Damn, I'm feeling old.

Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 16 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: