Archinect
anchor

Updating Portfolio

mbassen

Hello,

As we all know our portfolio is very important, and I have seen many forums on the topic of portfolios. 

I wanted to see what people thought about  updating our portfolio over time as we gain experience. 

When I graduated my portfolio at the time consisted of a select few school projects, (about four different project) that all touched on different topics and displayed my different skills and abilities. 

I have been working now since I have graduated and I would like to keep my portfolio up to date and fresh.

My question is, when updating the portfolio, after about a year and a half of working for a firm, should I still show work that was done in school and add any work examples that I have done while working? Or should it be a portfolio consisting of only work samples?

I am sure every firm has its own requirements but is there a standard to keeping work up to date?

Thank you 

Oct 18, 16 8:02 pm
BulgarBlogger

What you do in school matters very little after you start working. Ot only may matter if you want to get an advanced degree or if you are planning on classifying that work as research.

Oct 18, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

For the first few years, you're more likely to have decent design and presentation work that is fully yours in school, so yes include a few.  I keep a few in that shows my interest in different project types that I do not currently work on.  The additional factor is showing the full skill set - if future positions are requiring skills from school and not current work.

The unspoken rule is always ask your current employer what images are ok for you to include (typically pdfs are ok as they are released to contractors, original files are not - as office standards are not typically released without a release form).  If you start this earlier in your job, your boss is less likely to assume it's for a job search (and therefore more willing to let you keep stuff).

This being said for many people the skills learned at the first job are what gets you the second (assuming you're progressing in your abilities): CD work, specs, CA, etc .; rather than rendering and presentations.

Oct 19, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: