Archinect
anchor

The Bus

no_form
Throwing your colleagues under the bus does not do you any favors.

To the bosses out there, do you know when your minions are shitting on each other to make themselves look good?

Oct 17, 16 9:28 pm
I thought this was going to be about Jerome Bettis.
Oct 17, 16 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

or operating a practice on public transportation.

Oct 18, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

if the "shitting on each other" happens it's probably encouraged by the bosses, happened to me once, and there is no safe place. Brought an entire satellite office down in 6 months.

Oct 18, 16 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

^ agree, divide and rule

Oct 18, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

but how does management encourage it?  by not shutting it down when they see it happen?  

Oct 18, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

^ that is one way, another is giving a performance bonus to a known credit hog

Oct 18, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The only people actively doing this in my office at the bottom of the pile and int-des. You move up and get better projects not by complaining about others but by actually doing good work. 

Oct 18, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

why reward a credit hog is it's obvious what they are doing?

NS - that's what i'm observing here.  (minus the int-des, which we don't have)

Oct 18, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

in this case, the hog was brought in by the chairman, who was to stay in the HQ, and come regularly to fire people. you know the tale of the frog and the scorpion, right? 

Oct 18, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just got tossed under the #32 bus headed west. 

Oct 25, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

by olaf tintt?

Oct 25, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No.

Oct 25, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I learned from a Canuck, throw yourself under the bus if you're the boss.  what you learn real quick watching him do it and having done it a few times, like throw yourself under the bus in front of the client, who is your friend in the room.  only really douching clients just keeping dogging the issue.  If the boss does it instead of employees, most clients are sympathetic, they know you're working on a zillion jobs, payroll and managing people. 

Oct 25, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've tossed myself under quite a few buses.  I’ve got an armored hide and too old now to give a shit.  My team screws up under my watch making it my problem... So rather than whine how I wasn't given experienced team member or unrealistic deadlines, it's more like "Yup... that was shit I handed in.  We're working on resolving it now and here are my redlines.  Would you like to add anything you think I missed?" (and just bought myself a few more days I should have had in the first place).  You ever tried to argue with someone who agrees with you?  You can't.

I do the same with those who try and toss me under buses.  Crazy train it with a deadpan face and blame your parents for not hugging you much as a child. Short, sweet, and cut through the bullshit with sarcasm deflating their accusations without accepting blame.  Then present the solution. It’s something you’ll find with the ‘wasn’t me’ crowd.  They spend so much energy finding a patsy and creating a plausible alibi that they did not spend any time finding the solution.  You state the problem, find the solution and be the hero. 

Bosses and people in general don’t like the blame game, but value those who fix the problems and can make their inner child laugh. Learn to handle conflict with unflappable confidence and grace under pressure; you should know your bosses deal with this regularly from clients and their gut instinct is knowing the guy pointing fingers usually shares a significant portion of the blame (GC’s do this all the time).

Oct 25, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sometimes it's more complicated (crazy). I got tossed under the bus for not agreeing with an opinion then subsequently blamed for a multitude of problems. This is a project I'm not even working on but was just asked an opinion on. I'm ok with riding under the bus too. Nice and gritty down here. 

Oct 25, 16 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I had a colleague throw me under the bus with the Big Boss. The PIC at the local office went to bat for me and the Big Boss came and apologized for chewing me out. I'd do pretty much anything for that PIC, he had my back.

Oct 25, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

You ever tried to argue with someone who agrees with you?  You can't.

This works on really bitchy clients as well.  They bitch and bitch and you just, yes you are correct.  It's like they got stopped at the edge of cliff and don't know how to respond.  Kind of funny.  It's totally worth admitting it your fault even if it isn't just to shut them up.

Oct 25, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Good idea. I'll take all the blame. 

Oct 25, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

but there is a limit tintt.  some will get douchy and try to then step on you and that's when you walk them thru all their stupidity.  I slightly raise my voice and the strain in my voice sounds like I might rip someones head off.... point is, I was being nice and now you just pissed me off and you know you're wrong.

Oct 25, 16 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah, I'm not sure it'll go over well either. Ignoring.

Oct 25, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Agree in principle but not in fact.

And don't give a crap while you do it.
Oct 25, 16 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It all blew over. My non-reaction reaction worked just fine. 

Oct 26, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

that's great tintt!

now time to plan your revenge

Oct 26, 16 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: