Archinect
anchor

Help me construct this facade

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I have developed a conceptual design for a student project. (pictures 1,2,3,5). The building sits on the edge of a riverbank.

The facade is clad in metal plates and extends into becoming the roof. I want this to resemble the ARCAM Centre in Amsterdam.(picture 8)

I have come up with 2 structural solutions.

1) A curved steel frame (like the one in pictures 6,7) that would sit on the external side supporting the facade-roof and with the floor slabs fixed on the frame.

2) Support the floors on a heavyweight concrete structure (piles, columns, slabs, load-bearing walls) and then construct the facade-roof as an lightweight reinforced concrete shell (perhaps sprayed concrete) that would be fixed on top.

In case that a steel frame is needed, would you place a concrete layer on top or just the cladding?

I know this isn't a comprehensive and reliable structural appraisal but I just need a few ideas.

Oct 17, 16 8:19 am
Non Sequitur

Insulation?

Oct 17, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Insulation will of course be incorporated in the envelope. What I am enquiring about is steel frame vs concrete shell?

Oct 17, 16 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gluelam beams.

Oct 17, 16 8:45 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You don't have to have a composite deck.  Metal deck would be fine.  

If you went the glue-lam route, the obvious 60's and 70's choice would be to use tectum decking. 

Oct 17, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You might want to look into a mix of glulam beams and cross laminated timber. This company owns their own forests, sustainably managed, and builds incredible structures with wood: http://nordic.ca/en/projects/structures

Oct 17, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Oct 17, 16 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

I went for a steel frame that looks like this:

http://postimg.org/image/nt6xlbkt9/

Do I need to add cross bracing between the secondary beams?

With regard to the skin, I will probably specify a composite deck, so that I can get exposed concrete in the interior to give an industrial aesthetic.

The proposed build up for the skin is 100mm Sprayed Concrete, 50 Rigid Insulation, Membrane, 14.5mm Metal Plates on clambs. Is this ok?

Shall I increase the thickness of sprayed concrete and insulation? Also do I need a metal deck in between?

Oct 17, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Architectural+Graphic+Standards

Would probably be a big help to you for the questions in this and the other thread. 

Oct 17, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry if this was unclear. I will post a section drawing tomorrow.

Oct 17, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

do not curve the steel. frame it as a segmented curve. then with smaller steel or galvabized metal framing create the curves. if i remember correctly the building in Amsterdam has something similar to standing seam roofing, which is metal bent and crimped.

Oct 17, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
rakupillai

can any one suggest how torque tight required in UCW facade 

Oct 9, 17 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: