Archinect
anchor

What academic knowledge should an architect have?

jakubfrišo

More thinking about scientific subjects like: Math, Physics, Chemistry?

Should an architect have them? If so, how high a level of expertise should they have at their disposal? Basic? Intermediate? Expert?

thanks for an answer

Oct 12, 16 11:43 pm
Non Sequitur
Business.
Oct 13, 16 4:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

How to lick shoes.

Oct 13, 16 5:19 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

There's a thread about this very same topic recently...search for it

Oct 13, 16 6:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ ability to do basic research is not a bad idea either.
Oct 13, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten. The rest is superfluous. 

Oct 13, 16 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I spent most of my kindergarten years stealing toys from the classrooms.

Oct 13, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

now it's spent stealing revit families?

Oct 13, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

That's supposed to say 10th grade. Everything you need to know you learned in 10th grade. 

Oct 13, 16 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

all the revit families I need I stole in my first week on the project...

That's not true, I have technologists who steal for me. Ah, the times we live in.

Oct 13, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

nuclear physics, thermodynamics, rocket science, molecular biology, differential equations, linear algebra, organic chemistry, astronomy.  You should be able to solve the hardest geometry problem in the world.  

Oct 13, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

and you better know your medieval British literature...

Oct 13, 16 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Mostly the applied sciences - at least to mid level collegiate (200 to 300 level coursework) - best to be able to discuss with engineers, particularly for permit approvals. 

Other subjects: enough to have conversation with clients on topics of interest to them (depends on client demographic, but ability to discuss art/literature/music at a college educated level has been a base standard in my experience).  Law is another topic that is helpful to know to understand code and permits.

Oct 13, 16 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You know the answer to solve all the problems of the physical world: griege (beige+gray). But do you know why?

Oct 13, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

yes - I have extensive knowledge in colorimetry, electromagnetic radiation, and color theory, how else could an architect pick a color?  One needs to know the inner workings of the eye and all of the hard sciences to even begin to select an appropriate color for a given application.  Anything else would be purely amateur.

Oct 13, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

The same as for any other educated individual.

At a minimum: general knowledge of the sciences and the humanities with deep knowledge of at least one or two subject areas.

my 2 cents

Oct 13, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Of course it isn't necessary, but I've taken several biology and psychology classes focused on sense and perception and I would definitely recommend them to any designer. 

Oct 13, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

beer

Oct 13, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Olaf, why did you change your last and middle names?

Oct 13, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

philosophical reasons. philosophy is key to architecture. you could have mental problems otherwise. Plato and Deleuze for starters. I am killing the concept to rebuild it.

Oct 14, 16 7:03 am  · 
 · 
charlesarnot

An architect need to have good knowledge in mathematics and physics rather than chemistry. But more than that, he or she need to be excellent in mechanics.

Charles

Best Essay Writing Service

Oct 14, 16 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
But Olaf, what about the business cards and all those hats and frisbee you already ordered?
Oct 14, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NS. grabbed a laborer the other day wearing a Olaf Design Ninja Vuuve Challenge t-shirt, wrestled him to the ground, grabbed his carpenters knife and cut the Design Ninja out from his t-shirt. He wanted to the call the cops but I paid him off in beer.

Oct 14, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Sarahneaves

A great archinect with reasonable price.

[url=http://www.queenabelle.com/]QueenaBelle[/url]

Oct 15, 16 1:45 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

learn a bit of everything, then acquire a great deal of common sense

Oct 17, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Not necessarily in that order.

Mar 1, 18 7:00 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Since the history, music, art, and architecture of each age have common threads running through them those are the subjects you need to study. Studying a language like French or Italian would not hurt either.

Mar 1, 18 7:54 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Just be good at problem solving simple things and working through it.  Architecture ain't rocket science.  Most things we do is pretty common sense if you think about it.

Mar 1, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Know some chemistry, alkalinity and how different metals react. Know how hydration occurs in cement. Know some biology regarding mold growth bacteria. Having some understanding of real-estate law and contract law is good.  Understand how politics works at the local level (this is not always academic). Ethics is useful even if it is an aspiration. Know how to read and use the census and take a few demography classes, can be especially helpful if you design housing or retail. 

Just some ideas, I think another key thing is to have knowledge and some interest/connections outside of architecture and construction because that is where you may find clients. 

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 1, 18 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. 

Specialization is for insects.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 1, 18 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Common sense, creativity and knowing when to call in an expert.

Mar 2, 18 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: