Archinect
anchor

Rhino modeling help

Sti.1994

Hello,

I'm a 4th year architecture student and we are assigned a high rise building for San Francisco to design.  Does anyone have any advise as to how I can model this in Rhino? Basically there are three different sections. The middle section goes straight up and then the two beside it twist around it.  There is also a cantilevered part on the left that will act like a sheltered area for pedestrians.  

Thank you!

Oct 11, 16 11:53 am
Non Sequitur

That's totally the shape an affordable housing project should take.

Besides that, that seems like a pretty straight forward model.  Figure out your cores (stairs, services, elevators) and work your slabs out.

Oct 11, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Geometrically? one rail sweeps will model that whole thing. google it.

Oct 11, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I figured a 4th year student knew at least about sweeps... if not, then he/she has a some learning to do.

Oct 11, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
As someone who works in affordable housing, I'm intrigued by the affordable housing/hotel mix in an iconic tower. How are you going to separate uses? How are they going to overlap?
Oct 11, 16 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I didn't know that affordable housing should have a 'look'.  Do poor people need to look a certain way, too?  

OP, 1 and 2 rail sweeps will do it.  If you want to go HAM, download the t-splines plugin.  

Oct 11, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Affordable housing should definitely not have a look to it. The last thing you should be able to do is point at something and say "that's affordable housing". That's why this tower is intriguing to me. Towers are much derided due to Cabrini, Pruitt-Igoe, etc... so this is actually quite a provocative proposal, whether the OP knows it or not yet.

Oct 11, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, Danger... my comment on "the look" is more to do with the obvious cost of a twisty-turny tower. Don't care much because studio projects are speculative and never need to be realistic but I've seen too many students name-drop the affordable housing component like it's a sunshade. I figured the increase cost of the look could be better spent increasing 3 times the affordable budget, for example... but perhaps there is something I'm missing. I could get on board if the OP can work it in in a meaningful way.

Tower studio was the best studio. I still have one massing model from back in my undergrad days.

Oct 11, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

AFFORDABLE HOUSING IN A TWISTY TOWER HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oct 11, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Looks like a fun concept!

Sure reminds me of Levete's Central Embassy in Bangkok.

Oct 11, 16 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

why cant you have affordable housing in a twisty tower again? I mean, they could just forgo HVAC and curtain wall on the affordable floors and let people live in tents

Oct 11, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: