Archinect
anchor

Seeking an on-line graduate mentor / critic

leriotdelac

Hi, al!!

I am a graduate student at a so-so architectural program in the USA. Now my problem is that the studio class does not teach me anything that I did not know before so far. Professors are not demanding and other students are not ambitious. I wanted to get into a stronger and more innovative school but had to choose a financially feasible option, but now I feel like I am wasting my time here.

I am looking for someone from a leading school or a major practice to be my mentor and review my studio work once or twice on-line.

If anyone is feeling kind enough please write me: [email protected]

Oct 7, 16 12:07 pm

School is what you make of it. If you feel you aren't learning anything, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. If the professors aren't demanding, make demands of yourself. And so what the other students aren't ambitious, they have nothing to do with your work.

Oct 7, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^that

Oct 7, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
Second
A studio project can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it.
Oct 7, 16 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
leriotdelac

Thank you for replies,

I know how important is a personal commitment and extensive effort. I am trying to learn new things, to push myself harder, only getting drowned in the amount of resources available: books, tutorials, lecture records. I feel that I do not get anywhere like this because I do not get any feedback.

My professors are preparing me for a professional practice, but I have practiced for several years before. I want something more than becoming a "good architect". I need some guidance not because I am lazy, but because I want to learn things that I know nothing about. There is only so much that a person can teach themselves, especially in a creative field. If it were not like this, there would be no point in studying architecture in universities at all.

Oct 7, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

"...I do not get any feedback" Great! At least this way you have much more freedom to achieve your creative potential without a vulture at your back ready to tear down your proposal.

Oct 8, 16 2:52 am  · 
 · 
N.TW

The point of the M.Arch is a thesis project. Can you tell us about your progress with it?

Perhaps they haven't pushed you to develop it yet but if you're so bored and you want to continue the degree, figure out a killer thesis project.

Finally remember that once you complete the degree, pretty much no one will care about your thesis project. Unless it's really absolutely awesome and somehow affects the world of real architecture. But that's a long shot.

Good luck.

Oct 8, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The point of the M.Arch is a thesis project. Can you tell us about your progress with it?

This depends on the M.Arch program.  Some M.Arch programs don't offer a thesis option at all (all semesters are structured studios with programs developed by the faculty) and in many that do have an optional or mandatory thesis it doesn't happen until the final year of a 2 or 3 year program.  

As for the original poster: how long have you been in your M.Arch program? If it's your first semester it's rather early to know whether your current impression of knowing everything will remain true or whether things will get more difficult and/or interesting.  

Oct 8, 16 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: