Archinect
anchor

Parametricism vs. The American School of Thought (round 2)

archietechie

First it was Patrik vs. Tom wiscombe, now it's Mark foster gage. Glad we're finally having this conversation.

P.S.: Mark's reply is gold.

Oct 6, 16 9:06 pm
null pointer

The funny thing is that if there is someone who can actually take a huge shit on Patrik, it's MFG.

I'd laud that guy more, but I'd out myself.

Oct 6, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Also, if Patrik was willing to put his money where his mouth is, he'd have ZHA acquire an architect of record in NYC, instead of paying for one... because the AOR is the one making bank on that high line building. So much for capitalism.

Oct 6, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Coming from an individual, let alone a foreigner, who backed brexit...can expect no less.

Oct 7, 16 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Patrik's line of thinking actually isn't visionary at all. In fact, it is self-serving and ignorant of the world we live in. He wants to create icons, that supposedly fall into an a-political world when the fact is all architecture is political. It's political when you create a pet project for a dictator, a new headquarters for some CEO wanting to show off how much money he has and overcompensates with a McLaren. It's also political when you actively attempt to design to improve the lives of a specific user group, no matter how impractical and in some cases impossible to do through architecture. But you try anyway, because you want to make this world a better place, and I - like J. Irwin Miller before me (and who I learned so much from just by growing up in his town), I chose to use my gifts as an architect to make this world better in whatever way I can.

Patrik could stand to learn from Columbus. His modernist, fuck context, and fuck you thought is no longer avant garde or warranted in this society.

Oct 7, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Just to add - I respect Patrik for sticking to what he believes in, regardless of if I agree with his philosophy or not. What's the old saying, if no one dislikes you, you really aren't standing up for what you believe in?

Oct 7, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Parametric processes are tools of design - not design

Oct 7, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

FWIW Rem is bullish on Europe and leveraging state infrastructures to create novel architectural projects, and I'll take his opining over Patrik every time.  

Oct 7, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Dangermouse - this is in line with Rem, but I really like Bruce Mao's motto "Massive Change is about the design of the world, not the world of design." The design of the world is inherently political and social.

Oct 7, 16 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Parametric processes are tools of design - not design

Yeah but like any tools at your disposal, it's not just about knowing how to use it but WHAT you make of it. Patrik's belief is more aligned to how he wants to code human behavior into architecture for the future with no concern to context; form; comfort; re-usability; budget etc.

I disagree with this, I'm glad Tom and MFG put him in his place and ^ Josh is right, engaging in computational design is no longer avant-garde.

Oct 7, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: