Archinect
anchor

Canadian-Egyptian student question

Mohamed G. Abdel-Rahman

I am currently studying architecture in Egypt, this year is my final year (5 year program), I'm a Canadian citizen and have lived in Canada for the first 16 years of my life.
With my degree from Egypt, will i be able to find work relevant to the field of architecture? do i have to be licensed? I would like to pursue a masters degree, is this feasible?  

Some more info:
I'm top of my class and widely regarded by my professors as a very talented student, although standards here are quite low.
I am able to adequately use AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max (not as much though) and Lumion, and i have yet to finish my portfolio, as i am currently learning Photoshop.
I also have about 3 years of experience managing about 20-30 construction workers,  architects and civil engineers. I also have experience working as a real estate agent and once negotiated a 2 million pound contract for a lease but that didn't go through because of a discrepancy in the paper work.
I'm not sure if my experiences here in Egypt will really translate into the Canadian work space but i thought i should write some of them.

From what I have read, i should either try to get my licence or apply for a masters degree and that these are my best options available to get my foot though the door in the field of architecture, if this isn't correct please correct me where there is fault.

if anything isnt clear please tell me so that i may clarify as much as i can.

also attached are some renderings of my work.

thanks in advance to those who reply

Oct 4, 16 12:55 pm
Non Sequitur

You will need to look at the CACB to check if your degree is recognized for intern status. Chances are that it is not.  With that said, if your goal is to work in Canada, then apply for a Canadian Master degree... then your undergrad will no longer be relevant.

You can always find work in any office willing to hire you, but you will not be able to work as, or call yourself an architect until you have a recognized (and accredited) degree, complete the minimum hours, and write the ExAcs. (3 to 5 years full time work)

Oct 4, 16 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Mohamed G. Abdel-Rahman

ok, thanks for replying, so what would you say my chances are of getting accepted for a masters degree?
also the probability of finding relevant work within 6 months of moving to Canada? i'll be living in Ottawa.
Will my experiences here in Egypt be relevant in Canada?
sorry about all the questions but finding information about my unique-ish situation isproving more difficult than i imagined 

Oct 4, 16 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Plenty of work in Ottawa. Tonnes in fact. Just build yourself a portfolio that showcases your abilities to detail over design. People who can push the render button and make shiny images are a dime a dozen.

Besides that, please note that construction and practice are grossly different than what you're likely to have seen. Codes and standards are more demanding and you'll be competing for entry level jobs with people with masters degrees.

Good luck.
Oct 4, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Mohamed G. Abdel-Rahman

Alright, thanks a lot.  

Oct 5, 16 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dina S. Hassan

Hi Mohamed,

I am moving to Canada as well, in six months and just wondering if you contacted CACB, did you have any luck getting your bachelor accredited from them or did they assign you any extra courses? I hope you don't mind my questions but I'm really confused on where to start the process and I would appreciate your advice. 

Thanks in advance 

Dina. 

Jul 8, 17 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Dina, look at the CACB website.
Jul 8, 17 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: