Archinect
anchor

Who went to real estate and went back to architecture?

batman

I am curious if anyone has traverse this path before where they went to real estate and then back to architecture.

More specifically, I want to know if you got the same or higher pay when you went back to architecture, assuming you were being paid a lot higher in real estate.

also what was your position in real estate before went back to architecture and as what position?

Oct 3, 16 10:27 pm
Non Sequitur
What does taking 6% commissions have to do with architecture?
Oct 4, 16 3:44 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I like real estate agents. Most of them are terrible at their jobs. A few are good. Very different biz than architecture. Some earn their money.
Oct 4, 16 7:02 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

While now retired, over the course of my career I gravitated between private practice and real estate development several times. Each transition involved increased responsibility -- although it must be said that, on average, base compensation in private practice always was somewhat lower than what I received while working in real estate firms. However, the real boost in real estate involved equity participation in our projects.

My first job in real estate was as a Construction Manager for a large scale commercial developer. My later positions in real estate were as a Development Director for large scale commercial projects, working in much smaller RE firms. 

My career path in architecture was rather normal -- starting as an Intern right out of school and finishing as a Senior Principal in the firm from which I retired.

I think it worth noting that all of my job opportunities in real estate came from people who knew me well as a practicing architect and who had grown to trust my experience and judgment over time.

Oct 4, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
batman

^ thanks quizzical.

I only ask because I am currently working for a real estate firm (not as a agent or a broker) but a consultant for developers who wants in on the luxury condo market. It's a sweet gig, pays well, and learning a lot.

But i often miss designing and I am trying to figure what sort of position I can get myself into with my resume and pay at an equal rate. Right now I have a more robust experience with this real estate firm than in architecture firms. 

Oct 4, 16 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

after i got licensed a few years back i left a junior position in a large arch firm to work as an in-house design manager for a developer. the base salary was similar, but my bonus for a couple good years was equal to that salary.

when that sub market soured recently, i returned to a similar corporate arch firm at a mid level position with a salary in the normal range for that position, about 60% what i made in my best year with the developer.

the experience with the developer didn't in itself lead to higher pay or a higher position than if i'd stayed with an arch firm the entire time, but it has improved my judgement as a designer and i feel confident will lead towards future development work again.

for me, the decision was both opportunistic and circumstantial - the arch job offered a more stable salary and balanced workload at a time when i needed to focus on life outside work.

Oct 5, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

I  haven't cycled as many times as quizzical, and I'm not retired, but I have moved from architecture to REDEV and back. I'm currently back on the architect side of the table, where I seem to be poorer but more happy. I know a few other architects who are in the same boat.

Oct 5, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

interesting, I've looked at several postings by developers, but they seem pretty interested in estimating, something I know little about, so I haven't made any calls.

Oct 5, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Fergie

@batman are you a licensed architect? How did you get that position? I am not a licensed architect I just went to architecture school. I work in construction as a project engineer and I want to transition to real estate.

Nov 23, 16 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: