Archinect
anchor

Does anyone get in top MArch I with a poor GRE?

linhou

Hey people:

Just be killed from my GRE test, and I hated wasting time studying them rather than other design work. I know that it is important. How important is it? I am a top student in our school, but I am extremely bad at vocabulary, but my math is over average. Other materials are close to perfect as an undergraduate. Maybe I am overconfident. (144+164+??)

Oct 3, 16 12:21 pm
Non Sequitur

"I hated wasting time studying"

You probably should have spent your time more efficiently. Sorry chaps, you need to meet at least the minimum cut-off to be considered.  There are thousands of applicants every year to top schools, why would they bother with someone who can't be bothered to study for the tests?

Oct 3, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ahhh...the annual question of low gre vs school admissions. Someone pop the popcorn...
Oct 3, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gruen... I mean, don't get me wrong, if I had known I could walk into any top-notch school with piss-pour grades, I'd have "spent more time on design" too.

Oct 3, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

why would they accept you over another candidate who worked harder and aced their GRE score and got a killer portfolio also?  Maybe this is the year that everyone does poorly on their GRE and you will get in ;)

Oct 3, 16 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Maybe you can pass yourself off as one of the special groups of the moment. I think at the present time they are admitting, without question, black and/or Hispanic lesbian females with physical and mental disabilities who majored in Latina Studies at Sarah Lawrence. Bonus points (and free tuition) if you are an illegal alien. Good luck and enjoy your safe space!

Oct 3, 16 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

144 verbal is the 22nd percentile.  you want to avoid taking remedial english over the summer (this is a thing).  either study now on your own time and retake the test, or study over the summer and pay 8k for an english course 

Oct 3, 16 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
linhou

No kidding guys, GRE 's vocabulary is crazy. GSD says the average verbal is 157. so I am thinking maybe above 150 is a safe place?  Oh gosh, I don't know. I am going to retake it in November, so I can study more on it. I just want to spend more time to polish my ps, portfolio, and my research. I talked with my mentor today and I think if I study a little bit more, it should be improved. Anyways, thank you for all the responds.

Oct 4, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: