Archinect
anchor

Are you just a draftsman in your company? Junior Staff

snmaddox

Hey, let's share. As a junior staff, are you basically Revitting everything off of the designer(s) or you are able to get a more comprehensive experience? What is the norm? If you don't mind, what are the names of the company you are describing?

Oct 3, 16 10:53 am
molten

In my experience, there are firms that are actively interested in your involvement in a project and ones that don't really care. I've experienced both and have found that being vocal about what you want is important. People often get what they want, when they ask.

Not always. But, if your firm values you they will.

Oct 3, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do everything.

Concept to DD to CD to CA plus programming, cost analysis, tender & client management. Although I'm licensed and have almost 10-years experience, I have been doing all the above since my first day as an intern.

Oct 3, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 
zonker

For 6 years I was strictly a Revit Modeler/drafter/Cad Coordinator - only now after 7 years am I doing some design - 

Oct 3, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Same as Non Sequitur, w/ the exception of 2 exams till license and almost 9yrs experience

Oct 3, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

if you're not getting what you need, move on.  it's your career.  stop kissing ass and just do what's best for you.  yes, everyone is a drafter.  we produce drawings.  design is only 1% of our job.  

the more drawing you do the better you'll understand how to build things.  and you'll understand bad drawings from good drawings.  

if you want to be a project manager or higher up, you need to know much more about construction through on the job experience.  or, if you have contacts and some money open your own office and design to your hearts content.  

Oct 4, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: