Archinect
anchor

Before you go. Last advice.

Kidd

Good afternoon everyone!

Getting right to the point, I'm entering my last year in architecture school. I opted to go the 4 year route instead of the 5 year for varying reasons, chief among them being that I don't know what that last year would teach or prepare me for that I can't do on my own or through work. I've also come to the conclusion that while I love architecture and still want to practice, it doesn't define who I am or what my goals in life are. I have my hands in a couple of different projects and I want to try them out before relegating myself to the life of an architect. I know that I can do my side projects and still practice, but time is always of the essence.

So, what are some things that I should be doing with my last year in school? I am working and reworking my portfolio and plan to send that out soon to start getting some internships lined up, either in architecture or elsewhere. What should I be worrying about the most right now? How should I handle this last year in school? Where should I look for work with a 4 year BA in architecture? If I am looking to stay close to the profession but not be in it per se, what are some options?

Thanks for your time and advice.

PS- I have the GI Bill, so I am leaving with no debt from school and I have offers to do some furniture design and building, but I'm hesitant on committing to that at the moment.

Oct 2, 16 8:01 pm
Non Sequitur

Should have done the 5-year.

Oct 2, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Clif notes version-"I don't know what I want to do with my life but I know I want to keep my options open".

Answer-commit to something.
Oct 2, 16 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Non - What would be the biggest difference besides the writing?

Gruen - I know what I want to do. Architecture is a means, not the end. I have options, now I'm seeing which ones I want to commit to that are best for me. 

Oct 2, 16 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Professional degree versus non... you know the one required for licensure...now you'd have to go get a master degree if you decide to pursue licensure. Did they explain that to you?

Oct 2, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Haha- dumbass... arrogant little asshole would rather spend more money going to grad school because he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life... entitled....

Oct 2, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

"dumbass... arrogant little asshole"

Is that you Donald?

Oct 2, 16 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
So, what options are available? You have an accredited degree that will not likely allow you to pursue a license. I guess Starbucks is always looking to hire.
Oct 3, 16 4:33 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

No- definitely not Trump. However, isn't it pathetic that the rest of us have to pick up the financial slack because someone can't make up their mind about what to do with their lives? If education was free, I would have absolutely no problem. 

Oct 3, 16 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

typo in my post above.... 4-year route is an unaccredited degree. It's actually a 4+2(or3) route.

Oct 3, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

>the rest of us have to pick up the financial slack 

you aren't paying back other peoples loans, bro.  your shitty decisions are your own.  

Oct 3, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
x intern
I would recommend going to the 5 year degree. Like everyone has said now you need two years for the professional degree. You will be a draftsman in an office with a 4 year degree and the longer you wait the harder going back will be. As a fellow vet I recommend milking academia for all it's worth, there's nothing out here in the real world you need to be rushing to get to.
Oct 3, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you want to practice architecture, anything more significant that deck additions, you should be spending your last year applying to grad schools. 

Oct 3, 16 9:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

First, your tone of knowing better, and not needing that last year is weird.  You obviously didn't know better, because you're now here asking for ideas.

You can get a job with a firm, but without a masters, you will now have no path to licensure.  A license isn't everything, you can work your way up to project management without one, but it will be tougher.

Your other options have been discussed on these forums, ad nauseum.  My advice, go to work for a materials supplier.  You can be a product rep.  Be the guy who teaches lunch and learns.  Drive all day.  Eat on the company's dime. Teach some verging-on-pointless session about Sustainable (insert product here) garbage.  Rinse, repeat. 

You should confirm you can legally do these side projects of yours. 

Oct 3, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

5yr degree > 4 yr degree

I really don't get the point of 4 year degrees besides sucking people back into grad school.

Oct 3, 16 11:25 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

he said he's in the last year of a 4 year program.  switching to a 5 year program is not a good option for him at this time.

Oct 3, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I fear that you will not be terribly employable with a non-professional BA in Architecture.  You will be competing for entry-level jobs with hoards of B.Arch and M.Arch graduates.

Oct 3, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Wurden - Of course they explained that to me and I have talked to all of my professors and instructors about my paths. The original plan was to do the 4+2 and apply for the IPAL program my school is currently part of.

Bulgar - I've lurked here long enough to know you have very valuable information but your jadedness about the profession and anyone who takes a different path from the old days sullies anything insightful or useful that you may have to offer. Before you sling mud, you should get to know the people. I'm far from entitled. 

Non - I was going to add what are my options professionally but I fell asleep. Anything else that I can look into? I've taken the 5 year path up until this year. If I wanted, since the academic year hasn't started, is switch back to the 5 year. I wanted to get out of school as soon as possible and start contributing something and making some kind of living. There are always more paths than the one that is directly in front of you. That's what I'm looking to take.

x - My money for school is done after this year and I really don't want $30k in debt waiting for me. I'm not rushing to get out into the workforce, but I am ready to do something besides sit in a classroom.

Curtkram - Thanks. I'll talk with my academic adviser about what my options are and what would be needed of me. I'll also look into the grad schools and see if they have anything. Like I said above, my school is part of the IPAL program, so if I truly wanted, I could go that route. It's not too late to get that started on my end.

Senjohn - I'm not doing anything architecturally related on the side. The side projects are furniture design/building, computer programming, and federal projects non-architecture related. There are many avenues that I am exploring currently. All have potential. I do agree that it would be harder to move up the ranks in a firm if I go the 4 year route. I've always wanted to do something with Urban design/planning, so I plan to look into that this year as well, see what is out there.

Quentin - I agree. That's why I asked what would that last year really afford me? From my understanding at my school, most of the students worked on their thesis and found internships. I don't think many of them gained extra knowledge from school. They had enough from the 4 years and the internships filled in the rest and are helping them become better and to help them grow in the profession. So again, what does that 5th year really provide?

Oct 3, 16 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So you're leaving a real architecture degree for a glorified bachelor of arts/draftsmen training?

That extra year is nothing compared to the time it'll take to get back into it once you actually want to practice architecture. my two cents.

Oct 3, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Do the 5-year. I didn't, for various reasons, and have been paying for it ever since. Think of the extra year as the price of admission to becoming a professional. You would probably learn more outside of school but that's not how the system is set up. 

Oct 3, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Non - Thank you for the advice. I'll look into it more.

Wood - I hate the way that sounds but I completely understand. I've given this a lot of thought, contrary to the original post and some subsequent comments. This isn't being made lightly so I don't want to convey that message to anyone. I just wanted to get some more opinions on the matter before I made my final decision.

Oct 3, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Furniture building pays way less than architecture. Some people succeed in architecture and design without advanced degrees but most need the degree. 1 year and $30k is cheap.

Regardless, my advice is the same. Pick something and do it full bore.
Oct 3, 16 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

4 year BS Arch + 2 year MArch - Allows you the freedom to vary your education with two different schools and two different networks. You could work/travel in the year between your undergrad and grad or go straight through. This is what I did and I'm glad I was able to build up two vastly different professional networks in different parts of the country.  

5 year B.Arch - For someone totally committed to being licensed and working in architecture or a related field. Bang it out, get it done and get to work. 

4 year BS Arch + after which you realize that Architecture isn't for you and you decide to do something else. At least at this point you'll be a college grad with military experience. Not the end of the world.  

Oct 3, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Gruen - I know, trust me. Luckily I'm just really interested in furniture and want to try some ideas out and see where they take me. I have a few commissions already that I'm working on plus some other ideas I'm readying. I have a good support system here that will help me find the clients and materials needed to build it all. Plus I've done my own research.

LITS - I am not too concerned with being licensed. I don't really feel the need to be licensed soon or within the next 10 years. I fall more within the 1st and 3rd points you mention. I don't want to force myself to be stuck in one area with no way to get out or try something else, which I think a lot of people end up finding themselves.

Oct 3, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Brandon, yeah, I know that it doesn't sound exciting but I wish I had better advisors (or that I had listened if I was being advised) back when I was in your position. Instead, upon getting a 4-year degree I set up as a furnituremaker. It didn't take long to realize I needed other ways to pay the bills. After 20+ years I have worked myself into a reasonably successful niche designing homes, but I've been lucky and have had fewer doors open due to the lack of a more conventional route. Like you, I didn't think I'd care about being licensed, and it's not always necessary but if you were to suck it up and do one more year, you will have have options than if you "follow your heart" as the touchy-feely types may advise. 

Oct 3, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

LITS - I am not too concerned with being licensed. I don't really feel the need to be licensed soon or within the next 10 years. I fall more within the 1st and 3rd points you mention. I don't want to force myself to be stuck in one area with no way to get out or try something else, which I think a lot of people end up finding themselves.

Nothing in LITS' 2nd point forces you to be stuck in one area with no way to get out. In fact it actually opens up more opportunities than the path upon which you seem set.

Oct 3, 16 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

+1 on Everyday Intern

Keep in mind that more and more people are moving around with advanced degrees - that is to say IF you want to get back into it later on, you may be looking at a longer route, facing technology that has outrun your ability to keep up with, and in class with those with better stamina.  As a few of my friends asked: are you going to regret one year in school (with its debt) or regret not taking that extra year.  I took the extra year (albeit for a Masters) and while I find no need to get a license in architecture, it's been nice on the resume (I have other professional degrees and licenses).

Consider that a MArch is more than the $30k/yr, especially later (x2 yrs or x3 yrs), the one year is not a bad deal.

Oct 3, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

@BrandonWarner Being licensed doesn't particularly mean that you will be an "architect" forever. It can only open more doors should you decide to stay in a related field or even if you move on to something entirely different. You will have completed an educational path and earned a professional license. No one will discount you for that. 

Best of luck!

Oct 3, 16 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

LITS - I know it's just one more year but damn I am sick of school haha. I get what you're saying, really I do. I'll think on it more. I'm ahead in my credits/classes so I'll use this quarter to weigh my options and see what's out there. Get my portfolio together and see if I can land a job somewhere.

3tk - Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not worried about being left behind in the technology aspect of it. More of the practice and what's going on in the profession. I had been planning on collaborating with some peers and working through them for projects if the need ever presented itself. But it may just be easier to do 1 more year and be done with it.  I just want to move on.

Everday - When he said "5 year B.Arch - For someone totally committed to being licensed and working in architecture or a related field. Bang it out, get it done and get to work. "  That is where the confusion may have come from.

Wood - I don't plan on making a living with furniture. It's more of a hobby I seem to be good at. Getting it sold will be the challenge but I have some connections (at least I think I do) It's not as much as following my heart, it's wanting to try more before settling on one thing permanently for however long. I need a plan and soon. This year will fly and I don't want to have to work 20+ years to be where I could have been 10 years prior, if that makes sense.

Either way, it's hard to discuss this without everything sounding like an excuse, which it does. I wanted to get some advice and see what others thought. I'm sure there are more people like me out there that have the same thoughts but don't know how to go about asking. I'd like to hear from others who have gone the route I'm currently on and how it turned out for them. The more differing opinions the better. Not just for me, but for others as well.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Oct 3, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Don't depend on your connections.  Have a solid plan that will still work without them.  I'm a pretty well connected person in my area.  My connections have gotten my companies noticed, but I can't say I've ever gotten any decent work out of connections.  Small projects, but never anything big.  

Connections will throw a few bones your way because you're a friend.  But the more expensive something gets, the more you're just like everyone else trying to provide them the same service. 

Oct 4, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Used to work with a guy with a four year degree. We were PMs together at a small firm. He's now a draftsman at an MEP firm and I'm an architect. I would bet I make close to twice his income. Once kids enter the mix knocking off for a couple years is a lot more difficult. A four year degree may as well be in art or music.
Oct 4, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Get a job that's related to architecture: timber framing, drafting sewers, programming CNCs - whatever, as long as its something that interests you, pays a decent wage, and  will look relevant on an application if you decide to go to grad school.

Then, rather than spending your free time watching t.v., pursue your interests. Finish projects and show people what you've done. Some of them will know of avenues for you to pursue, or maybe even want to hire you. You'll develop your skills, and possibly fall into a career.

I don't think that its worth accruing debt to go to school for another year unless you really want to be there.

Oct 4, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Stick around one more year and get the B. Arch.  Do a thesis about furniture in architecture so you can explore this interest of yours.

Oct 5, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Anonitect - Thank you. I'm looking to pad my resume and portfolio with a myriad of different skills, but I want it to be quality as well. I've generated a lot of interest both in and outside of school with the furniture. I'm not banking on that being the only thing I work on however. I'll still probably look for an architecture related internship during my last couple of months and into the summer somewhere in SoCal.

Thisisnotmyname - I would have to push that thesis topic into a direction that hasn't been done before if I were to stay another year. I see what you're getting at though. I'll definitely give it more thought, see what I can come up with and what hasn't been talked about over and over again. Thank you.

Oct 5, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: