Archinect
anchor

Should I pursue B. of Environmental Design then M.Arch OR just B. Arch then M.Arch

Naing Zaw

Hey,

I apologize ahead, if i say something wrong. Currently, i'm in United States. I have 2 years of GE credits in a Community College. When I transfer to Cal Poly Pomona which is B.Arch 5 years program, I have to start from the first year. This is because I have zero experience in Architecture. Basically, i'm going to spend around 7 years just for B.Arch.

So the plan is I'm transferring to 4-year Bachelor of Environmental Design major in Canada, University of British Columbia, after my first year at Pomona. According to their webpage, I could get a degree in 2 years in Bachelor of Environmental Design. If I do that, my two years at Community College is not going to be a waste. Also, upon graduating, I plan to pursue M.Arch somewhere. Within 7 years, I will not only have a B. of Environmental Design as well as M. Arch, which sounds pretty cool. 

Is it a good plan? Or should I stay in Cal Poly Pomona and finish B.Arch? I'm scared that Cal Poly Pomona is not going to help me achieve greater. Please help me out!

A million THANKS!

Oct 2, 16 4:36 pm
Volunteer

At NC State University if you complete their four-year Environmental Design degree you can be awarded a Bachelor in Architecture with one additional year of study, or a Master's degree in Architecture with two additional years of study.

Oct 2, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This sounds complicated. Why go from an accredited (B.arch) degree to a 4-year filler bachelor's (BED)? You're B.arch is enough, no need for M.arch... and chances are you'll have the same level of portfolio.

Oct 2, 16 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Naing Zaw

Hello Non Sequitur

is it possible that having M.arch degree looks good on your resume? 

Oct 2, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Who cares about what looks good? What do you want to do? Practice or spend money collecting degrees?

Keep th Barch since its accredited. Eventually all that matters is your portfolio and the billable skills you bring to an office.
Oct 3, 16 4:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: