Archinect
anchor

Which floor detail would you suggest for an industrial building?

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I am designing an industrial building for a school project and I am wondering which one of the 3 options (listed in the images) below to use for a floor with industrial use. Industrial use would mean heavy loads from small vehicles like forklifts and mechanical equipment like machinery.

I have attached 3 pictures showing proposed details.

1.  Concrete Floor Slab+Rigid Insulation +Membrane + Reinforced Screed

2. Membrane +Rigid Insulation + Concrete Floor Slab + Screed

3. Membrane +Rigid Insulation +Membrane +Concrete Floor Slab & semi bonded screed

Would rigid insulation under the screed (and floor loads) suffer any compression at all that could prove risky to the build up?

Which option would be best given the heavy loads that the floor would be subjected to?

There is also Option 4 which would be just 350mm Concrete + 50mm Screed, which is what SANNA have used in their Vitra Campus Factory. I wonder why they have not used any floor insulation and also wonder if this common practice for industrial rooms which do not require excessive thermal conditioning.

Sep 30, 16 3:46 pm
Non Sequitur

You don't necessarily need under slab insulation. The more important thing is depth of slab and depth of compacted granular. If the space is heated, insulation along the exterior of the foundation wall and footing should be sufficient.

Sep 30, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Also... 50mm is practically nothing. I'm currently building a large storage facility (flat bed trucks, fork lifts, sail boats, etc) and 200mm is our slab thickness without any insulation below.  

Looks like you need to rethink your needs

Sep 30, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Here I'd use a 6" reinforced slab for most heavy loads, thicker if very heavy. 100 psi rigid insulation can be used under slab if necessary, but usually only in special situations - such as a refrigerated facility.

What is the purpose of the membrane?

To control vapor from below? Or condensation from above?

What about the screed? Is it to level the slab? Is this necessary? If extreme flatness is not necessary, then it's just a cost and something that might break under heavy loads. Consider just specifying the flatness and hardness of concrete that you need, admixtures if necessary.

Vapor barrier under slab is good, but membrane above =?? Not sure what it's for.
Sep 30, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ps-big machines can require their own footings depending on loads.
Sep 30, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: