Archinect
anchor

ADA and Unisex Bathrooms

3D Ashley

Good Evening,

I am currently working on a remodeling project for a local restaurant. Currently they have two bathrooms (one male and one female) however neither is ADA compliant. We are making considerable improvements to the project and would like to offer an ADA bathroom to the patrons. We do not have enough space to provide a separate ADA men's and ADA women's bathrooms but we do have enough space for one unisex ADA restroom and one non-ADA unisex restroom. The code states that we must have 2 bathrooms based on our occupancy. Does anyone know if you can use unisex bathrooms to meet ADA and occupancy compliance? The project is in Fort Lauderdale, FL. 

Thank you in advance for any help:)

Sep 28, 16 10:53 pm
poop876

Existing restrooms? Chapter 34! $ 20% upgrade for accessibility and they can't make your tear down walls to upgrade!

Sep 28, 16 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

You might be interested in "Toilet Talk" – gender inclusivity in public restrooms, featuring special guest Susan Surface, on Archinect Sessions #42, it might not answer specific questions of code but speak to larger issues.

Sep 29, 16 12:25 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Ashley, why come here? Go to your state, or local building codes, look for amendments to IBC, and if that isn't any help, call the building code official, or AHJ.

Sep 29, 16 5:59 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

I am working on a similar situation in California. California adopted the ADA as the model code for public accomodations.

There is a mens restroom and a womens restroom, both are non-compliant. I reconfigured one restroom to be an accessible unisex, and the other is as accessible as I can make it, but it will be non-compliant unisex.

There are some great resources at http://www.accessibilityonline.org/ao/

Sep 29, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

"technically infeasible" is the verbiage you're going to have trouble with.  You can do unisex, if it is technically infeasible to comply with the requirements of ADA.  But, a lot of code officials look at "technically infeasible" in different ways.  

Lack of money doesn't make it technically infeasible.  Not wanting to take space from other functions doesn't make it technically infeasible.  

Your best bet is to ask the AHJ and be done with it.  You can get a lot of answers here, but people are going to disagree. I deal with some of the most strict building officials I can think of, and they wouldn't let it fly without there being a structural issue or something equally problematic. 

Sep 29, 16 9:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Going on, "Technically Infeasible" is actually defined in the ADA. 

Definition:  With respect to the alteration of a building or a facility, something that has little likelihood of being accomplished because existing structural conditions would require removing or altering a load-bearing member that is an essential part of the structural frame; or because other existing physical or site constraints prohibit modification or addition of elements, spaces, or features that are in full and strict compliance with the minimum requirements.

So, really... very few things are technically infeasible.  The only thing you can then claim is the 20% thing.  Because the only thing limiting most structural modifications is money. 

Sep 29, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Also-bathrooms are one of the least important things to spend the 20% on. Start with accessibility from the parking lot into the building, then to the primary function. Have you spent 20% yet?
Sep 29, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Per ADA, the order is:

Entrance, Route to altered area, Restrooms, Phones, Drinking fountains, and then, when possible, "additional accessible elements such as parking, storage, and alarms."

Not sure why they don't include parking with the accessible route.   

Sep 29, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
The 20%, nothing to do with the OPs question.
Sep 29, 16 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: