Archinect
anchor

High School Senior in need for college advice

ludmilaraynal

Hello! So here it goes. I am interested in majoring in Architecture. I live in California and would really really want to stay here, not only because of money, but also because I do not really wanna go too far away from my family.

Anyway, my top schools right now are

-UCLA

-UC BERKELEY

-USC

- CAL SLO

-CAL POMONA

I wanted to know, if lets say I got accepted to all, which school would be the best to go to. Ive read that its best to go with a school that has B.Arch (5 years i believe?) to then get M.Arch. If possible I would love to hear the pros and cons of studying at these colleges! thank you for your help!!!

Sep 27, 16 11:42 pm
senjohnblutarsky

You don't have to get a Masters.  Plenty of Architects function finely without one. 

Sep 28, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Driko

all these schools are great school. Obviously go with the one that is the cheapest and highest ranking.  I would just say that berkeley is probably the one that has the most practical program and ucla has the most design oriented program. I dont know much about cal slo and pomona but im sure they are fine schools. Also i would not do a 5 yr program unless you are completely sure that you want to do architecture. more than half of my class dropped out of the major the first year and that seems like a common trend at all arch programs. 

Sep 28, 16 9:58 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Why would 5 years vs 4 matter if one is unsure?  If they are going to drop out after the first year, program duration matters very little.  

Sep 28, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Driko

well if you drop out the second year or third then not a lot of your classes will transfer to another program. i guess the first year you loose out on 5-6 credit hours on studio unless you can count those as some sort of art elective class. where at 4 year school most first studio courses are 3-4 credit hours. I could be wrong about the credit hours but if im right thats wasted time and money. 

Sep 28, 16 10:13 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

A few hours lost is still cheaper than your scenario.  So, you end up deciding you're afraid you won't like it.  So, as a result, you attend a 4 year program.  Then, "Hey! I like this!".  Bam! Now you're paying for an extra year in grad school.  

Now which was cheaper? 

Sep 28, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Driko

Senjohnblutarsky.. Good Point. I guess i just dont have much faith in anyone completing architecture programs 

Sep 28, 16 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Major in Engineering

Sep 28, 16 10:36 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Go into medicine -

Sep 28, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Get a degree in civil engineering a school whose program is ABET accredited and concentrate in structures. Minor in art and architecture history if possible. Then, after a few years in the work force, you can get a two year Masters degree in architecture if you are still interested.

Sep 28, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

ludmilaraynal - You need to develop a list of criteria by which you will make this decision, i.e., cost, location, degree program (BArch vs. 4+2 MArch), size, etc.  Only you can truly determine which is the best program for you.

Start now by visiting their websites - of course, you will want to visit; be sure you shadow a class and studio.  Do not just take a tour.

If you cannot visit, request the names and emails of students or alums from the program to learn beyond the website.

Best - Dr. Architecture

Sep 29, 16 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: