Archinect
anchor

How does one design an automobile dealer center?

Klint abrasado

Im desperate right now and I cant seem to find the exact stuff im looking for on the internet, but i do know that there is a service area, parts area and a showroom and office area . I just don't know what spaces are inside those areas please help .

Sep 27, 16 11:44 am
senjohnblutarsky

Student?

Go to a dealership and ask.

Architect?

Bit off more than you can chew.  Go to a dealership and ask. 

Sep 27, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I hope this is a half-ass attempt at a student project because if not... there is a client out there who's going to be pissing away money shortly.

Sep 27, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Same way as any other building type. Determine the program and other requirements and use your experience and expertise to design it.
Sep 27, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Oooooh, is that what we do?

Sep 27, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

with floor tiles and big windows to see the cars from outside.

Sep 27, 16 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

lots of alpolic panels...

Sep 27, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I guess you have to buy a car then. They offer free self-guided tours that last for hours if you do. 

Sep 27, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I worked at a car dealership during my undergrad and partly during arch school. You quickly learn a lot about what works and what doesn't when you have to work in a space with a specific program. 

storage and cleanliness are always big challenges. 

Sep 27, 16 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

design should look like a car

Sep 27, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Yes, much like a giant bird to sell bird related products.

Sep 27, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

make sure you have room for an inflatable gorilla or duck 

http://jalopnik.com/giant-duck-terrorizes-humanity-we-must-hide-from-the-d-1787139924

Sep 27, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

randy s donuts car dealership

Sep 27, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

The doughnut easily becomes a tire.

Sep 27, 16 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Im desperate right now and I cant seem to find the exact stuff im looking for on the internet, but i do know that there is a service area, parts area and a showroom and office area . I just don't know what spaces are inside those areas please help .

I've designed a ton of these.  

Service: Bays, tech area, break areas, detail bays, alignment racks, oil room, compressor room.  Also related is service check-in; service advisors, client billing, vehicle drop off / pick-up (under cover, not outside).  Waiting area & lounge (proximity to showroom and view of service bays).  Lots of times, there are displays here to or accessory cars (bike racks, wheels, etc. they want to sell you).

Parts: Large and small parts bins, tool room, parts manager, retail part counter, cashier, access to both service and client waiting.

Showroom; Easy enough.  Sales are typically on the floor, but need back of house bullpen to make calls, store brochures, etc. 

Office; Financial director, billing, controller, internet sales, general manager.  Conference room, training room, bathrooms, etc.  Don't mix with the grease monkeys or public bathrooms either.

Site has a ton of stuff too.  Vehicle wash bays, oil distribution, tire storage, dumpsters, and a boatload of vehicle storage.  

Sep 27, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Dealerships are so old school. Use the Internet, just like Elon Musk. Self driving cars. Self fixing cars. Cars that pay for themselves with your credit card .
Sep 27, 16 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Yeah, Tesla has an interesting model and is fighting in certain areas to sell from what I've heard as most regions have strict dealership/franchise laws. North America is a bit weird in which most dealerships are individually run and not by the manufacturer of the product itself.

I've only bought one car myself and through a dealership friend which made the process easy. But for the most part shopping for cars is a horrible experience full of smoke and mirrors. The question would be, do you want to improve the experience for the buyer or the seller? Much like a prison, who ultimately will benefit from the design?

Sep 28, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Time- Saver Standards for Building Types

Oct 17, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: