Archinect
anchor

ANSI 117.1 Commentary - turning area, clear floor space, fixture clearance...

dandouglas

There are plenty of guides and commentaries for ADAAG that explain and illustrate the allowable overlaps and encroachments between various floor space requirements in a commercial washroom: turning area, clear floor space, fixture clearance, door swing, etc.  I can't find similar guides and illustrations for that topic in ANSI 117.1.  ANSI 117.1 itself is not very helpful in this regard.  If someone has bought ANSI 117.1 Standard and Commentary, I'd appreciate a quick review.  Is it worth paying extra to get the commentary?  Is there commentary specific to the topic of floor space overlaps? 

Sep 27, 16 11:02 am
poop876

To me ANSI is pretty clear. Never needed an interpretation or had the need to call ICC

Sep 27, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Usually you can overlap the clearances. Pretty sure this is covered in ANSI A117.
Sep 27, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Yep - it's in there. It tells you when and when you can't have them overlap.
Sep 28, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
cadomestique

There's no graphics showing the allowable overlaps. Your are going to have to read descriptions. 

Sep 29, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
vwahaszee

We have it in our office. It's proven useful on a few occasions in the past month or so we've used it. There are clarifications that can answer questions you may still have after reading ANSI.

Aug 29, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: