Archinect
anchor

another portfolio review

Cas Esb

Hey,

Im about to send my portfolio out to see if i can get an internship at a larger firm.

https://issuu.com/casesbach/docs/26septissuu

Hope to hear what you think.

gr,

Cas

Sep 26, 16 12:26 pm
tduds

Good start. It's an appropriate length. You've got a decent command of the grid (it could use refining but the basics are in place), your layouts convey a lot of information without getting overly busy.

Suggestions:

Swap out the first pre-fab project with something more 'substantial'. This doesn't read as a design to me, at best it's a system of parts, but you don't include enough information to explain to me how it can be inhabited. Either add in some info about how the pieces aggregate into a dwelling / community, or lose it. The 2nd pre-fab project is more interesting and actually reads as a "design"

Work on your typography. The body text is alright (Personally I wouldn't go with that font, but if its the aesthetic you want to project that's your choice). However there's no hierarchy. The project titles especially could use more emphasis.

More on the grid: this is nitpicky but good graphic design to get used to: make a uniform grid template and stick to it. Not only should your 'cells' be equal size, but the whitespace between them should be equal. Looking at Page 8/9 for example... you have at least 4 different widths of margin between all the images. Make those uniform.

"ENFJ" ...no one cares. Focus on your professional strengths.

Finally, that first project is really nice. Bjarke might hire you for the homage, or he might not hire you for so blatantly ripping off his style. ;)

Good luck.

Sep 26, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Perhaps it's just me but I can't take any portfolio seriously when applicants self-rate their software skills.  Everybody and their neighbour is an "advanced" revit, or rhino, or sketchup, or autoCAD, etc, user apparently. Please note that "advance" skills you develop while in school do not automatically translate to  "advance" skills in the work place. Let the employer determine how much you know based on a variety of details and drawings.

I second Tduds ENFJ nonsense.

Less BIG clichés, more design development and non-typical construction details.

Sep 26, 16 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

It's pretty nice, but I agree with pretty much all the comments above. I'm skeptical of the skill levels. 

Also, I think your work experience should be more prominent than a line item in an "extracurricular" category. 

Sep 26, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

Thanks for the comments. 

tduds-  thanks for the kind words! You are right about the 1st prefab home. I will add the missing part of the story. I have seen this project a thousand times and totally forgot to add the clue. It looks like just a boring building package.

I will also take a good look at typography and emphasize the heirarchy.(to a certain extent i also think this is taste but you are right it is to weak now)

non sequitur-  I put in the skill level to show what programs I spent my most time in. I get it that it irritates you. I tried to emphasize my specific program skills by linking each projects products back to specific programs. This hopefully gives advanced intermediate beginner some context.

gr,

cas

Sep 26, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I appreciate the explanation Cas, but I would not judge, from the portfolio, that you have "advance" skills. Not trying to belittle your academic work, but keep in mind that everyone leaving school thinks they are software superstar because they know what button to press to make shiny images happen. It's far better to just list software without the capability inflating labels. 

Sep 26, 16 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

putting beginner with 3 years experience for each would be so lame ahahaha but yes i understand.

Sep 26, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just don't put anything year/label.

Sep 26, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rbsm

Ditch the 3rth project, its very different from the other 2 and not in a good way, i really liked the first one tho

Sep 26, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cas Esb

Hey thanks for the advice i was able to secure an internship at a big architectural office.

Oct 29, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
kalai

where did you get placed, cas esb?

Dec 3, 16 2:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: