Archinect
anchor

How do I start pursuing architecture right know?

jakubfrišo

To put you in my situation - I´m still in highschool and I dont want to find out upon attending real (expensive) college that this was only a romantic dream.

Right now, right here - by working and learning to test out this thing with all its nuances and pitfalls.

Please, I ask for advice of concrete steps and skills to learn and pursue for a person interested in architecture who only wants to test out this passion (or how you can call it).

I dont need no college advices, just suggestions on what directions in my road should I take. Because honestly... I have only little idea.

Sep 21, 16 4:26 pm
Non Sequitur

1. Visit a school of architecture during the end of semester reviews.

2. Attend your local organization's forum lectures

3. Play around in sketchup

4. Call local offices and ask for a tour

5. Attend local project proposal/presentations

6. Start working on your entrance portfolio

Sep 21, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

http://www.ncarb.org/Becoming-an-Architect/What-Its-Like.aspx

http://www.ncarb.org/Becoming-an-Architect.aspx

while this is for the American system, you can still find answers to your questions.  good luck.

Sep 21, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ agree...Ill add a few...

7. Try to really see the city and buildings around you in more depth.

8. Start reading a general history of arch text..."A World History of Architecture" is a good start.

9. Sketch places and details that you find interesting

10. Try to figure out how simple things are constructed.  

Sep 21, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

read Brian Tracys' "No excuses" first and if that doesn't do it join the Marines

learning to do what it takes no matter what is prerequisite for architecture - this I kid you not 

Sep 21, 16 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

start scribbling and crumpling paper

Sep 21, 16 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

the Koz is back!

11. Do not hire a publicist

Sep 21, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
12. Do not use Pinterest!
Sep 21, 16 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Read:

Form and Forces: Designing Efficient, Expressive Structures. Allen, Zalewski

Architecture: Space, Form, Order. Ching 

Why Buildings Stand Up.  Salvadori

Why Buildings Fall Down.  Salvadori

Any standard undergraduate level architectural history textbook. (might be hard to wade through.)

Draw:

Lots, from direct observation.

Become:

A pompous ass. Learn to spend long hours staring at a screen, doing boring construction details while being regularly belittled by intellectually mediocre yet profoundly egotistical old white men.

The profession is toxic. Odds are that you'll learn to hate it.  You won't save the world, or make great art. You'll be a cog in a machine for making rich guys even richer.

Sep 22, 16 12:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: