Archinect
anchor

plaster and lath

ivorykeyboard

let's talk plaster and lath.

i'm renovating my old 125 year old masonry two flat. i've got some plaster and lath, in varying condition, drywall covering plaster and lath, and some areas with drywall just covering lath.

is it worth repairing the damaged plaster? I know it has superior acoustic properties, holds up better than drywall over time, etc, but i'm under the impression I will never recoup the cost of this because people don't give a flying shit about functionality, just if they have sub-zero and wolf appliances so they can look like a top dawg to their friends.

Sep 20, 16 10:21 am
Non Sequitur

I'd actually be more impressed by immaculate and clean interior plaster walls than appliances.  Anyone can pick up an expensive stove in a store but you can't buy nice and slightly textured plaster.

Sep 20, 16 10:29 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

good luck finding a good plaster person not in retirement.

Sep 20, 16 11:18 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

personally I think level 5 drywall looks better than plaster - save yourself the headache and use gyp.  If you are flipper drywall with orange peel or knock down.

Sep 20, 16 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

If your concern is recouping the cost or are a flipper I don't think going back with actual finish plaster makes sense. If your concern is quality then finish plaster is a better option. Totally agree w/ Olaf, depending on where you (OP) are located, it might be hard to find someone to do good finish plaster work. And man is good plaster work noticeably better. Good luck to you.

Sep 20, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Just renovated our office and took the plaster and lath off to expose beautiful maple beams (actual 3") and rafters. We took them down, refinished them and put them back on. It looks great!  

Sep 20, 16 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

^ Pictures or it never happened...

Sep 20, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
cadomestique

Drywall goes up faster, it's cheaper and looks much better and cleaner.  Tough decision. 

Sep 20, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

thanks for the responses... i'm not a flipper, but will probably sell in 10 years or so. 

surprisingly, i was able to find a couple decent plaster guys in the area (chicago). the previous owner did some plaster work and had a recommendation too. they aren't cheap though.  

Sep 20, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: