Archinect
anchor

Presentations

architecteller
I can not present! Despite preparing well worded written presentations that communicate my ideas perfectly, I still can't present! The second I stand in front of my peers and tutors, I develop a speech impediment that and it makes me look so amateur and that I haven't done any work! What doesn't help also is that usually I would spend all night before a submission finishing it/making it better so I am always tired. Can anyone share some tips as to what helps them? I would really appreciate it.

Sep 20, 16 9:20 am
curtkram

toastmasters

you just have to get up there and do it.  do it often.  find reasons to get in front of people and speak, and never be afraid to fail.  embrace your failures.  eventually, you'll have done it so often, you'll actually be good at it.  maybe even look forward to it.

Sep 20, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Practice^3 and never work on the project the night before. Rookie mistake. 

Also, toastmaster works well. I've got a few friends who used to run the local group.

Sep 20, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Second the no late nights before. If you have to do them the days before and knock off at 5pm the night before. You won't believe the difference. Also so your presentation out loud before you get in front of people.
Sep 20, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had a few studio profs lock up and counted all the presentation material at the end of the school day the day prior to reviews. This way no one burned the night away scrambling for last minute changes. But this was all hand drawings and bass-wood models.

Sep 20, 16 10:49 am  · 
 · 
architecteller

Yea all nighters suck. I really would not do them unless I had to. It's just hard to know when to call quits on a project. Thanks for the tips, I'll try seek out a toastmasters in my city, sleep and rehearse.

Sep 20, 16 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
jacobshirley

I sit through a lot of presentations and have witnessed a lot of good and bad presenters. So much so I wrote an article about it. I think the largest impact on the whether or not I walk away impressed is if you're excited about what you talk about.
See this - http://spec.ninja/blog/Presentations+from+the+perspective+of+the+audience/8

Dec 22, 16 10:03 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

as recommended toastmasters, take your project to the local mall and present to people who stop and look (we did this one semester at the university), present it to your family, watch youtube videos of people presenting stuff, watch infomercials of presentations, watch other architects at local city commission video or go to the local commission meeting they are typically open to the public

Dec 22, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: