Archinect
anchor

architectural office assistant vs intern

connect.12

I've recently noticed job postings seeking "architectural office assistants". The descriptions generally include administrative tasks and running errands. However, some postings requested work samples and expected assistants to help with CAD and model making tasks.

I haven't worked in a firm before, and I'm confused regarding the difference between an "office assistant" and an "intern". Is it simply a titular difference with similar responsibilities? I know of interns that were fortunate enough to be very involved in projects, but others that were essentially glorified custodians. As someone seeking architectural experience before graduate school, would these assistant positions be worth exploring?

Sep 19, 16 1:20 am
thisisnotmyname

Job titles and duties vary a lot between firms.  You will have to investigate each posting individually to figure out what duties the job will entail.   Obviously, your first preference should be the ones where you are mainly working on projects instead of general office duties.  Of course, your skill level will play a role in what the firm decides to have you work on.  If you can't do CAD or model building, a position focused on admin. and errands may be all you can get, but you can still get something out of it if you are observant and learn how an architectural office operates.

Sep 19, 16 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

^what he/she said.

I would think intern would be your first choice but if an office assistant position is all you could find it could be worthwhile; at least until something better comes up.

Sep 19, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^ que ellos dicen

Sep 19, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: