Archinect
anchor

Internship after 1 year of studying architecture?

SvenjaBolten
Hello,

I am an international student from Germany, currently studying in the "Architectural engineering technology" program at Norwalk Community College, Norwalk CT, and am in the first semester. While taking classes such as building technology and environmental systems, I noticed that I would much rather understand the subject while being out in the field. Therefore, I have set my mind to the idea of pursuing an internship next summer and, perhaps, doing a Co-Op next fall.

My question now, what knowledge/experience would I need to pursue such? Would it be realistic to do an internship after only studying architecture for about a year or would I need more time and classes to do so?

I am a driven, organized, independent person and don't shy away from tasks. Since I am international student, I know that I have to work harder and better than anyone who is from around here.

If such idea isn't pursuable, would there be anything else possible for me to a) gain experience and knowledge, and b) get in touch with the field to get a look on the job as an architect?

Thanks very much for any answers any of you could give me.

Sep 18, 16 2:44 pm
Volunteer

Switch to Civil Engineering at an ABET accredited four-year school that has a work study-program. You go to school a semester and work a semester and summers. The ABET accreditation is worth quite a bit. You will be much more employable as a civil engineer.

Sep 18, 16 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
SvenjaBolten
I don't think I'm smart enough to be a civil engineer - I do know that my school offers a Co-Op program after a certain amounts of credits/semesters
Sep 18, 16 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Don't sell yourself short! At least go visit an ABET accredited program and talk with the students and professors. My best friend in high school flunked the 7th grade in elementary school and wasn't supposed to do well in college at all. He went on to be an honors CE graduate. He has had a wonderful engineering career and even picked up a Master's degree several years later.

Sep 18, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
SvenjaBolten
Consider, though, as an international student you'll have to pay, sometimes, more than an out of state student without being able to work unless it's on campus. Another issue. However, i appreciate your help very much and will take a look at it!
Sep 18, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: